Fungi ID please..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Had to rescue this before a cow trod on it. I thought it was a giant puffball but the markings on the top don't look the same as those in Mr Phillips mushroom book. It was growing on open grassland. Its pretty solid and heavy. I thought the markings looked similar to parasol mushrooms (we get a lot of them here), but again its not clear in the book...
We want to cook it up, but I need to be sure first.
Anyone recognise it..?

ea348a72.jpg

15e407af.jpg

9009d081.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is the problem with jvuenile mushrooms, if that is the correct descriptive. They can look like so many things. The size though does lend itself to probably being a giant parasol, but it's a gamble to take. If it were me, I'd leave it out.

The stalk is normally hollow, a bit like elder, and a bit woody in older specimens as I recall. The stalk also looks a bit like snake skin on older ones, and where it connects to the cap it leaves a dimple/nipple like projection on top. The cap is frondy/flaky looking, simmilar to what is on the edge of the underside hence my reason that I think you may be correct but don't take my word for it! Parasols are one of the few mushrooms I can positively ID 100 percent, but then again that is only mature specimens.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It looks more like an agaricus to me, possibly The Prince, Agaricus augustus. As has been said, it's very hard to tell from a juvenile specimen.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I would be prepared to bet actual money that it is not a parasol or a giant puffball. The scales on parasol are larger and darker, the stalks are longer and thinner and the top of the cap is more pointed. Giant puffballs don't have a stalk.

As Slowworm says looks more like an agaricus of some kind, possibly horse mushroom Agaricus arvensis. Does it smell of anything?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I would be prepared to bet actual money that it is not a parasol or a giant puffball. The scales on parasol are larger and darker, the stalks are longer and thinner and the top of the cap is more pointed. Giant puffballs don't have a stalk.

As Slowworm says looks more like an agaricus of some kind, possibly horse mushroom Agaricus arvensis. Does it smell of anything?

All fair points, but this is a juvenile. They can be different in their younger stages. A good reason to leave it be, as positive identification cannot be made.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for the comments... I will pop out into the field tomorrow and have a look for some more....
Stupid question maybe, but could I pop the fungi into some water (or dirt), like a cut flower, to let it grow..???

It smells faintly mushroomy, not unpleasant. It doesn't go yellow when bruised..

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
All fair points, but this is a juvenile. They can be different in their younger stages. A good reason to leave it be, as positive identification cannot be made.

Completely agree, was not suggesting I'd eat it unless 100% certain of ID.

BTW, I don't mean to be argumentative but parasol and giant puffball are two of my favourites, I've found lots including young ones and I'm absolutely sure this isn't either of them.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Try one of these fellas: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/agaricus_arvensis.html

P.S. Keep your find as it will continue to develop - in a day or so the cap will open up and reveal the gills. If it is an agaricus, they'll be pale at first darkening to deep chocolate brown & once the cap's fully open you can do a spore print onto white paper, it should be dark brown.

Horse mushrooms can be HUGE!

Thanks Carol.. Will keep it... Do I need to put it in water, keep it in a dark place or a cool place etc..??

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Nope, just put it to one side in a dry but not too warm-ish place* so that it doesn't dehydrate too quickly and it should continue to open.

*(i.e. don't stick it in the 'fridge)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE