Fungi I.D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Looked at Wikipedia and looks like it is. Better not eat it :cool:

Right, I'd always thought that too, although I know shamen in times long past used to eat bits of it in their rituals and I've even heard that the tribe would then consume some of the shamen's urine to get a less hallucinating effect. Can't remember where I heard this so can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Just googled this fungi to check and found this site below...just having a read now so don't know if it's any good, so far I'll still be steering well clear lol

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/24/eating-santas-shroom/

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
There are loads of them around here at the moment. They are potentially hallucinogenic as others have said. Can't say I've tried neutralizing the active ingredient to make them edible so wouldn't like to comment on whether or not that is possible. Another problem with foraging these as a wild edible is that you could wind up in trouble with the law just for being in possession.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It would be completely reckless and unsafe to try consuming them, steer well clear.

Cheers, Paul.

xylaria

There are plenty of good edible mushrooms out to eat. Fly agarics might be of some culinary merit, but there is plenty others out there I can eat which taste good fryed in butter. I dont need the blinding headache, the nausea, the sweats these produce BEFORE the colour based hallucinations start up. I have spoken to people who have consumed them all except one said they got a really awful headache.

I think some mushrooms are eaten out of bravado. the french rave about grisettes, they look like a bit like death caps and are totally tasteless.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It would be completely reckless and unsafe to try consuming them, steer well clear.

Cheers, Paul.

I think that's probably very sound advice :)

There are plenty of good edible mushrooms out to eat. Fly agarics might be of some culinary merit, but there is plenty others out there I can eat which taste good fryed in butter. I dont need the blinding headache, the nausea, the sweats these produce BEFORE the colour based hallucinations start up. I have spoken to people who have consumed them all except one said they got a really awful headache.

I think some mushrooms are eaten out of bravado. the french rave about grisettes, they look like a bit like death caps and are totally tasteless.

And as I've never met anybody who has eaten them and you have, I'd say that's even more sound advice :)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
There are loads of them around here at the moment. They are potentially hallucinogenic as others have said. Can't say I've tried neutralizing the active ingredient to make them edible so wouldn't like to comment on whether or not that is possible. Another problem with foraging these as a wild edible is that you could wind up in trouble with the law just for being in possession.

I am not a lawyer so if this is important to you check carefully. As far as I know they are perfectly legal both to pick and to use since the law refers only to mushrooms containing psilocybin and related compounds, and fly agaric does not.

Personally I would rather not experiment with them either for recreational pharmaceutical effects or as food. There are plenty of other good tasting mushrooms out there without running the risk of interesting unwanted side effects.

Last edited:

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I am not a lawyer so if this is important to you check carefully. As far as I know they are perfectly legal both to pick and to use since the law refers only to mushrooms containing psilocybin and related compounds, and fly agaric does not.

Personally I would rather not experiment with them either for recreational pharmaceutical effects or as food. There are plenty of other good tasting mushrooms out there without running the risk of interesting unwanted side effects.

My mistake Cranmere. From what I have read I think you are right.... the psycho active constituent in Fly Agaric mushrooms appears not to be prohibited in the same way that psilocybin is.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk

xylaria

Good to see you read my post below (post #5)....least I know I'm writing to myself for sure now, I only half wondered it before ;) lol :)

I am listening. Fancy walking up ben nevis in flipflops eating fly argic soup for lunch and making desent with a skateboard?

The one guy I talked too who tried eating as a food sorce, had tried boiling repeatedly and removing the water got a severe headache.. The others took the fungi for psychogenic reasons. One needed to see a dentist afterwards because of the damage from jaw clenching. The only one not to get a headache took fly agaric boiled with a near lethal combination of other herbs. They had no memory of three days.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
Good to see you read my post below (post #5)....least I know I'm writing to myself for sure now, I only half wondered it before ;) lol :)

I just wanted to make sure your excellent message was guaranteed to be received by subsequent readers (and nothing to do with skimming thread on my phone :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE