Fungi At Work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Can anyone please help with identifying this fungi, it's growing in a big damp patch in the corner of the office I work in. It's in an old portacabin type building, which is leaking in various places!

The Fungi is about 40mm across and very slippery, there have been one or two in the last week, and we'd like to know what they are before we call in health and safety.

Any help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• Unknown_Fungi.jpg
    Unknown_Fungi.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 60

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Most likely it is a fungus called Peziza cerea. It can grow on mortar or vegatable debris. It is not pathogenic but it will grow in places that are damp enough for some really mean fungi to grow. Look for a Black mildew like mould that produces a green/brown dust, (Cladosporium) as this does produces lung infections. I not a great expert on fungi that use humans as a substrate, so maybe a inspection by health and safety might be the best course of action.
I have lived in a house that had Ear fungus on one of the walls Cladosporum in the kitchen, serpula lacrimans (dry rot) on most the skirting boards, plus a thing I couldn't ID. Me and the newborn baby I just had were OK we didn't get ill. We left when the cockroaches were spotted though.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thank you Xylaria, I've just had a look on Rogers Mushrooms, thanks to your ID, and that certainly looks like the culprit.

We've had mice and even rats in here, in the past, so it's not a great place to work, I suppose all the flora and fauna does give me a chance to practise bushcraft skills though! :lmao:

I think your cockroaches would have done it for me too, they really are a sign, that it's time to move on.

Thanks again for the help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE