Fund raising trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys,
Firstly let me apologise if this is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it.

Next year around may time myself and my best mate have decided to do something for charity.

Unfortunately throughtout our lifetimes we have both had family members touched by the dreaded cancer and as we have both given up playing footy recently we now have time to actually do something good for a charity.

What we are planning to do, and forgive me as its not very bushcrafty, is ride the length of the country from john o groats to lands end on MOPEDS lol.

We are in the very very early stages of planning, and although its prob not that difficult and I think that we can do it 5 days camping along the way.

The difficulty will be in the fact that we cannot legally use motorways because of the bikes and the fact although Im 32 and he is 27 we will both be on 'L' plates lol.

We may even start the trip from where we live yet and go from March to Scotland and down to Lands end and back up to March, obviously this will take longer than 5 days.

Obviously everything we use and buy for the trip will be out of our own pockets so we can give the biggest possible donation to our given charity.

Neither of us have attempted anything like this before and are obviously very nieve on how difficult it possibly could be but I reckon its gotta be worth a giggle!!

Have any of you done this or something similar? any advice on the planning would be excellent!!!

Like I say we are very much in the early stages of planning, so much so we only decided to do it yesterday!!

The long term plan is maybe to do a bigger trip maybe through other countrys etc.

Thanks for reading

All the best
Steve

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...
sporty86.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist it...
aloofandbored0.gif

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I was going to ask what a "Fud Raising Trip" was....

Thought it was maybe an acronym, you know "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt".

Not sure what kind of trip that would be, although I'd wager it would have to involve staying in backpacking hostels ;)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Right back to the subject in hand , if your doing it on mopeds they have to be 50cc just to make it a good challange ,and just to make it a bit more of a fun challange ,you could plan your route around the three highest peaks Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon ....
As for your route its going to be about 1200 miles or so just because you can only use the roads and no motorways,,doing this sort of mileage on a 50cc will be tough so i would not bother trying to leave from were you live ,just get the bikes in a van and taken to John o groats
I hope you get this trip all sorted because it will be one you wont forget ,,,,keep us all posted on your progress

Jason

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you are a full car licence holder you can ride a mo=ped without L-plates and carry a pillion passenger :D

I may be wrong, and stand to be corrected, but I think the above is no longer true. I thought the law was changed so that all riders had to have had basic training in a two-wheeled vehicle like a moped.

Someone will be along soon who will know.

Meanwhile, this sounds like a great plan. Good luck with it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Right back to the subject in hand , if your doing it on mopeds they have to be 50cc just to make it a good challange ,and just to make it a bit more of a fun challange ,you could plan your route around the three highest peaks Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon ....
As for your route its going to be about 1200 miles or so just because you can only use the roads and no motorways,,doing this sort of mileage on a 50cc will be tough so i would not bother trying to leave from were you live ,just get the bikes in a van and taken to John o groats
I hope you get this trip all sorted because it will be one you wont forget ,,,,keep us all posted on your progress

Jason

Cheers for the info, you have got it right so far, the plan is to defo do it 50cc bikes, prob just a couple of rev and go mopeds.
I have road mapped it and to go from John o Groats to Lands End avoiding moterways is just over 900 miles.
For another 2 days travelling we can ride home too, finding someone to drop us off in Scotland and pick us up the other end will prove difficult and very costly in fuel and time. But we already have someone in mind who will take us up in his van.
Cheers
Steve

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
if you're going unsupported my main worry would be loading all your camping gear with inexperienced riders!

Sounds like a lot of fun though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE