Fully enclosed tarp pyramid setup.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
Nice.

I saw a variation on this a while ago with an inbuilt groundsheet, although the video isn't as clear.

The guy called it a "Swamp Tarp".

[video=youtube;BX8o_zoWzJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8o_zoWzJE[/video]

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I love how simple it is.
Peg two far corners, peg the other two together, lift the middle either with the pole or line.

My favourite "tent" setup from now on :)

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
It is simple, in fact I'm kicking myself for not thinking of anchoring the setup that I used a few months ago from the middle like in the video you posted, it takes care of all that space that I wasted at the back and gives protection from the front.

img_5931-e1360579239650.jpg

img_5942-e1360579201136.jpg

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Your setup is diferent and I think what you have done gives you more floor space as you utilize the whole tarp. What is shown in the videos is different, floor is triangular, the tip comes right from the middle of the tarp, and you loose some material for the "door".
But in foul weather I would definitelly go for that pyramide. It actually negates the idea of a tarp tent for me.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
+1.
Until now tentish configurations where an option but it really takes some time and faffing about which I discovered last time I camped on a camp site in lake district. With a good weather it's very bushcrafty, but in a rain and wind and 10minutes from going dark, not funny.
Now with my dd travel hammock as a ground sheet I have a really reliable, quick and simple tent option.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
The half pyramid is another classic and one that I use. here is a really bushcrafty version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJHuWlEAtk&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLC723A25411A845E0

I believe that is a 10x12 tarp, but it works well enough with an 8x10 piece of Tyvek and trekking poles. A good feature is the headroom at the entrance.

That's what I have been using so far when I needed a tent. But it takes a lot of time and practice. That's what astonishes me with the full pyramide, how quick and fool proof it is.
pin down two corners stretching one edge, pin down two corners together in a tight triangle, elevate the middle. Done.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I like this - a nice option for when the weather is really bad. A bit of a condensation trap, so maybe not a first choice, but there are times you want total protection. I'll be trying this out tomorrow in the garden!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have spend a night in a fully closed tarp (with the floor sealed with moss) and the walls where dripping wet in the morning. But with the tarp you have enough room to stay away from water running dow the walls. Also you can wipe them now and then with bandana etc.
As soon as I get my siltarp I will try this with gaps along the floor egdes, that should help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE