Fulled wool slippers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The missus knits all year round, in the autumn she makes me a fresh pair of fulled wool slippers.

Before fulling:

fulled_wool_slippers.jpg

Fulled:

fulled_wool_slippers_02.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh absolutely excellent :D
I was just looking at the huge box of wools for felting, and there you go, you post a thread like this :D

Would your Missus maybe post her pattern ? Happy to send some coloured merino in exchange :)

M

Reactions: vestlenning

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Would your Missus maybe post her pattern ?

She used a pattern from a blog = http://postkjellaren.blogspot.com/2012/10/tova-tfler.html but that's in Norwegian and Google translate made a mess of it so here's the important stuff in English:

Size 6:

Knitting pin 6.

Red = 54 stitches,
green = 18 cm,
blue = bind off 4 stitches on each side,
yellow = 17 cm,
pink = one row 2 regular stitches then 2 stitches bound together etc,
two rows regular stitches,
one row 2 regular stitches then 2 stitches bound together etc,
two rows regular stitches,
one row 2 sticthes bound together
then pull the yarn trough.

slipper.jpg

Red = Sew with wool yarn.

slipper_02.jpg

Wash at 60 C with a pair of jeans and a dash of wool soap. Wash again at 40 C if to big.

If you need info for other sizes just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy and Billy-o

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@vestlenning, Thank you :D and please thank your wife for taking the time and trouble to sort out the instructions.
Very much appreciated. Much gentler on aching hands and wrists than making felt slippers from scratch from fleece. (If Mrs Westlenning would like some merino fleece, please let me know ?)

This style of knitted slipper is incredibly comfortable, can be shrunk and shaped to fit (just put it on your foot when it's still dry and work it, rubbing and pressing ) They're warm, last well, don't stink even when worn day and out, and they're brilliant inside muckboots for the garden too.
They make really good 'camp shoes', especially if beeswax'd leather soles are stitched on, though some folks just use rubber cement to create a waterproof and non slip sole (brush on copydex !)

M

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Slippers like these are my favourite. Haven't put soles on them before but will sew on some kind of fabric this time to make them last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Old denim works surprisingly well. The backside, hems and knees of jeans are often worn dead, but the lower leg is usually sound. I often use it for the soles of the little houseshoes I make for myself. Doesn't slip, wears well, washes easily, etc., and since it's dark it doesn't look dirty very quickly.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi what's sort of wool is used? Double knit chunky or felting? I made felted mittens last year for swedish trip and would love to make these. By colum do you mean row of knitting?sorry for my ignorance but it doesn't read like an English knitting patternthat I'm used to. Thanks

Reactions: Robson Valley

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks that's great. I will use felting wool as I know how to felt it. One more silly question. How many grams of wool are used? I have some left from my mittens and have already started to knit them but I think I don't have enough to hand and will have to order some more . I'm really looking forward to wearing these. Amazing to find a knitting pattern on a bushcraft site. I make a lot of my own gear and clothes. A great way to spend wet and cold days in front of the fireside when my arthritis won't let me play outside.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well they have been knitted and sewn up. Only took two evenings. Now to felt them. Fingers crossed as last time I knitted slippers to felt they came out from the machine only big enough to fit a toddler! I've used £20 worth of pure alpaca wool which I discovered in my wool stash. I'm tempted to try felting by hand at that price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE