Full registered member?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 22, 2012
Gloucestershire
How long does it take until a new user becomes a member? I seem to be restricted in almost everything I can see? I cant see profiles (including my own) my topic replies dont seem to post and I cant subscribe to threads etc? I also cant see pictures uploaded directly to the forum?

Is this what I should expect?

:confused:

Doris (Matt)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
As a full member (you pay) you'll only get access to the members only section and be able to make new threads in the for sale section.
I think your profile may be experiencing problems - can you message (PM) one of the Mods?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
10 posts will lift most restrictions, you will need to subscribe if you want to upload direct from your computer, you can still link to pics though. So use a pic hosting site fo the while.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I'll post this thread for Admin to have a look.
Maybe the details need added to the Rules and Guidelines that we ask folks to agree to before they join.

We had, and still would have, a dreadful problem with spammers trying to sneak in as new members. I won't go into detail, but the new set up has cut their numbers and made a huge difference to the Mod workload.
The unfortuate side effect is that it's causing confusion and irritation for a few, genuine, new members.

Welcome to the forum Gonk :D That's a long while to wait for a Hello! :D

cheers,
Toddy

T

tortoiseandhare

Does this mean that I need to make 10 posts in order to make my own thread? What an odd system.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, it's a very good system, and this is only one small part of it.
Before it was implemented the Mods removed several dozen spammers a day, sometimes a heck of a lot more :sigh: and that meant manually removing every one of their (insert sweary words of choice x multiple options) posts too.

The forum has literally millions of hits a month, the statistics are kind of intimidating sometimes.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spammers should be efficiently electrocuted by their own thrice damned keyboards :(

Mostly these days they're just trying to get folks to link to their sites or buy stuff from them, but when I first started modding there were very occasional posts that would have sickened a sadist :(
I think the net as a whole has cleaned up a lot of those kind of things; isp's and the like take a dim view of some of the non family friendly stuff nowadays, especially once the police get involved.

It makes you wonder though, just what do they think in any of their mince would be of interest to folks on bushcraft sites :dunno:

We're kind of fortunate here, there are enough Mods and Admins to catch stuff relatively quickly, even if most of us are off doing something elsewhere, there's usually someone around.
We are also blessed with a very pro-active membership who give us heads up when they spot sommat dodgy :cool: it's appreciated :)

cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Does this mean that I need to make 10 posts in order to make my own thread? What an odd system.

No you don't need to make 10 posts before you can start your own thread. For instance, if you go the the Welcome & Introductions forum you'll find you can start a thread (button on the top left, under the Alpkit add).

The 10 posts are an extra security measure to filter out those who are up to no good.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Welcome to the forum

Click on the link in Ahjno's signature line on becoming a Full Member.

When you have paid your subscription you are able to sell some personal stuff on the site.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE