"fuel" for fire pistons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just got a fire piston (much to my wife's dismay. She just rolls her eyes when I head into the backyard to "practice.") and this is a fun "toy!"

It's very, very easy to get a piece of charcloth to light, but that's all that I've managed. I have some tinder fungus, but I can't get that to light at all with this. Is this something that you should be able to light with a fire piston? Any other tinders that readily ignite with a fire piston? I guess what I'm asking is if I head out with this in hand, are there any tinders that I could stumble across or is charcloth the best thing for them?

For the record, my piston is small, maybe 10-15 cm long, so if it takes a lot of pressure to ignite tinder fungus, it's probably not going to do it.

(As an aside, I finally have figured out how to get tinder fungus going with just a firesteel. It's amazing what a little time spent thinking about what you're trying to do and a little practice can achieve.)

Thanks,

Doc

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
with mine I found that I was actually doing it too quickly - whack it down hard, but hold it for half a second at the bottom before pulling out the plunger - this gives time for the heat in the compressed air to transfer to the tinder. Whacking and pull straight out from the 'bounce' means it doesn't stay compressed for long enough to heat up properly.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Wow what an ordeal! This is Becky and I have can not log in as myself. While I figure that out, I'll borrow Darrel.

Anyway, I have a whole list for you. Some of the information I will just copy from our site. I forget just how many there are...I hope if I forgot any, someone will remind me.

Traditionally in the US and UK in the 1800's, (1) char cloth, (2) rags soaked in salt peter, and (3) amadou were used. In SE Asia, fine (4) inner bark from the Fishtail Palm was used. We had some of this sent to us and it works very well.

Where ever you are in the world, if you find any species of (5) Shelf fungus, dry it out and try it. They work with varying reliability. Most work very well though. Turned into to amadou it works great. In the 1800's, this was also soaked in salt peter.

In the UK, (6) Cramp Ball fungus very well.

Mullein is a tinder that is found widely throughout the world. It comes naturally from
Europe and Asia and grows in North America from Mexico to Canada. It likes alkaline soil and is found in disturbed soils, along roadsides, fields, near seashores. In the United States, it is found in all 48 contiguous states and Hawaii. There are over 250 distinct species of mullein (and many other subspecies) that grow between 2 and 9 feet tall. The (7) pith has produced a coal, but it is not as reliable as the (8) feathery bark, which is very easy to light. Unlike wood punk, you do not need to have "just the right" mullein to work in your fire piston, just make sure it is a brown stalk. It takes little preparation and works extremely reliably and can be found in a variety of climates. One last tinder that you can get from Mullein is from charring the Pith much like Charcloth. It makes the pith much more reliable.

Milkweed offers another tinder for your fire piston. Actually, to be honest, it offers
two. Various species of Milkweed are widely distributed in tropical and subtropical regions, including Africa and India. Some of them grow in rocky environments and some in a swampy habitat. I see them here in Minnesota in my backyard and different species are found in Canada and Mexico. The distribution of this plant is widespread. They like sun and moist soil. The two types of tinder this plant offers are the (9) fluff and the (10) ovum. The ovum is VERY reliable with the fire piston while the fluff is quite the challenge. As with other plant fluffs, it lights and burns out quickly. The trick is to have just the right thickness ball and very quickly transfer it to your tinder bundle. Unlike the Ovum, it is not very reliable and would make a better addition to your tinder bundle. Milkweed Ovum would be a year around tinder, both green and dry. (ovum dries out in the fire piston with a few whacks)

(11) Wood punk is another tinder that works in the fire piston, although not as reliably as the other tinders mentioned. Some swear by this. While it will work, we have taken the word of the average fire piston user who say it doesn't always work and finding punk in just the right stage can be pointless when other more reliable tinders are available.

(12) Yucca, (13) Sunflower stalk, (14) scrapings from inside bamboo, (15) ground up Cedar bark, and (16) cotton fibers, are tinders that have worked for others.

And last but not least and already mentioned, (17) Chaga!

There is one more unusual one that someone mentioned but it has escaped my mind and I can't seem to find it in my notes... I'll come back with that one I guess.

If you want to learn more and see pictures of some of the tinders listed above, you can follow this link: Tinder Pictures

Have fun!
Becky

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
"How to improve your success rate when using a fire piston".
When you don't get your tinder to light after giving your fire piston a good whacking, you will want to give it another whack and another as many of us do and then maybe give up on that piece of tinder. But, oxygen is a very important part of the process and after each whack, you must purge the cylinder so that there is fresh air in it so that you have the needed oxygen for the next whack. I use a piece of wooden dowel that slides down into the cylinder to displace the smoke and depleted oxygen from the previous whack. When the dowel is withdrawn, new fresh air and oxygen is drawn into the cylinder. Sometimes a piece of chaga (tinder fungus) will take 1 to 6 whacks, but my success rate is almost 100% when I make sure the cylinder is purged with new air & oxygen for each whack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE