Fruit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 27, 2010
west auckland
Hi can any body tell me how to dry apples as my apple tree has gone crazy this year
also how to preserve plums as my plum tree has done the same

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
British red us your go to guy on that. Helped me a lot. Plumbs you could always do what I'm doing, brew em into wine!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Plums preserved in brandy is pretty traditional. Some sugar, ginger and vanilla is needed too. Plum & rhubarb pie/crumble is pretty darn nice too. :p

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't forget making cider which is easy as anything and cider vinegar (which is not much harder).

Dried plums are prunes and home made ones are delicious.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I dry a lot of apples, however I have a dehydrator which makes the job easy. You can do it in a normal domestic oven provided you can set the temperature low enough, it needs to be around 50C so that it doesn't actually cook the apples, and a fan oven is much better.

Slice the apples to about 1cm thick - thicker than you think you need because they shrink a lot in drying and if they are too thin you end up with apple crisps. Of course if you like apple crisps, slice them thin! Dip the slices in salt water to help stop them from browning, lay them out on clean tea towels on shallow trays or on wire racks if you have them. Put them in the oven, prop the door slightly open and leave them until leathery. It takes many hours to get to that stage though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE