Fruit Sugars and Blue Salt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been thinking more about Salts and Sugars of Late -so I made these. One is Green Alkanet Salt ( no taste difference - just a blue / grey colour. experimental ) , the other two are Lemon Sugar and Strawberry Sugar.

All very experimental and a learning curve.

I'm also thinking of doing Ground Ivy Salt , Red Chilli Salt ( may mix in some Lemon sugar to give a sweet & salty Hot Vibe ) , Lime Salt ( for Tequilas...) , Gorse Petal Sugar?

What other things could I put in Salt or Sugar ?? As Crystals they have useful traits

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpgs6.jpgs7.jpgs8.jpgs9.jpg

Attachments

• s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: crosslandkelly
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I was thinking rosemary or chive or spring onion flowers, they are out now and have colour and taste (except rosemary which just has taste). I was going to do that, but am still banned from eating non-food.

Reactions: TeeDee

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lavender sugar is lovely,

vanilla sugar. I just leave a pod in a jar with sugar.

Rose petals sugar.

Cinnamon sugar.

Wild garlic salt.

Mushroom salt (dried powdered mushrooms.)

Mixed herb salt.( Something I often use are camp, easily made from store cupboard ingredients )
These are what I use regularly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You threw me for a moment; I thought you were making salts as in seasonings directly.

Like drying nettles and using those as a salt substitute.

I make za'atar using lemon zest and thyme. It's really good on savoury dishes.

Summer savoury and wild marjoram are also good in salt.

I like dried and ground quince in sugar. It's sweet, but tangy. Haws pounded up with fine sugar, and pressed into tablets, dry into sweeties.

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What strikes me immediately about your salts is the visual appeal.
I sure hope that they are color-fast. Strawberry salt or dill salt for fish?

I collect salt from all over the planet. Just about any herb or spice finds its way into salt.
I find they go dull in 6 months. The fresher the better. Don't make very much.

Buy a zesting tool to scrape off the oil rich outer layer of citrus. The fine shreds will flavor 50 g salt in a month.
I'm more interested in the mineral-sourced salts. Their tastes are very stable.
The herbed ones I can make here to suit my needs.

Next, consider expanding your collection with smoked salts, those are always so very different from each other.
I would imagine that adding some sort of a salt holder in a BBQ with apple wood for smoke will not be hard to build.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What strikes me immediately about your salts is the visual appeal.
I sure hope that they are color-fast. Strawberry salt or dill salt for fish?

I collect salt from all over the planet. Just about any herb or spice finds its way into salt.
I find they go dull in 6 months. The fresher the better. Don't make very much.

Buy a zesting tool to scrape off the oil rich outer layer of citrus. The fine shreds will flavor 50 g salt in a month.
I'm more interested in the mineral-sourced salts. Their tastes are very stable.
The herbed ones I can make here to suit my needs.

Next, consider expanding your collection with smoked salts, those are always so very different from each other.
I would imagine that adding some sort of a salt holder in a BBQ with apple wood for smoke will not be hard to build.

Happy to view your creations if you load a few Photos and how you made them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not much to see. As an example, I used a liquor shot glass as a measure.
Two shots of coarse Sifto brand ordinary salt* in a small glass jar.
With the zesting tool, I cleaned off a lemon, all the shredded yellow stuff going into the jar.
Shake to mix. Stand for a month.
Use on pan-fried halibut and salmon.
The lemon fades, maybe another lemon after 30 days would jack it up again.

I always add a snort of lemon juice or lime juice and plain salt to water when I'm boiling shrimps or prawns (same things, I guess.)
I don't think a seasoned salt would work the same. Better? Maybe so.

Since then, I've discovered a preference for grinding most salts to a powder in a shallow mortar & pestle.
I don't know yet if the oily citrus zest will clog that into a solid mass or not. I hope not.

* The marine sea salts all have more complex tastes. I saw no point in getting those kakked up with lemon or lime.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE