Frontier stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy, used the Frontier stove for a solid 26 hours, it was only fed split and whole(as size permitted) lime wood logs, at 0230 this morning I awoke to find that the flu was blocked and the lavvo full of smoke(plenty of ventilation, the smoke came down to head height if sitting down) I found a glob of oily resin had blocked the flu pipe at the rear of the burner, I used a long stick to clear it, feed it some logs and made a brew to make sure I had cleared it, it started drawing fine, my question is has any one else had this, is it a regular occurrence with the frontier?

To me the flu is two small, but then I am already set on a helsport stove after this episode. For its larger capacity, bigger door, more stable stance and better air control.

Fuel wise, I had it stacked under the stove filling the space, this kept it going for the 26 hours of use, not to shabby, and the tent was never cold. :)

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
At the last Moot I used my Frontier stove for about 2 hours each day. The fuel I used was Blazers Fuel Logs which are just compressed wood chips made into a log shape. When I was dismantling the stove at the end of the fortnight I noticed that the flue's effective internal diameter was only about 1 inch due to the build up of a hard soot on the flue walls.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Word homes, though it will be a while, next years pay is going to go mostly on there preschool so that I can work, to earn enough to pay for there pre school so that I can work......I m now confused?

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Sounds like creosote build up. The narrow flue of the frontier will be more prone to blockage. It gets worse when the wood is not well seasoned and the stove on a low setting. It should be possible to keep it under control by cranking the stove up to the max for a bit every few hours to burn it off.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just a thought, ( I don't have a frontier) could you wrap a little glass fibre rope around where the blockage occurs to slow the tar condensing at that point?

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
I have an Ozpig which also has a small flue.

This does block up over time. It also depends on what wood I am burning. Well seasoned wood has never caused a problem. However, burning 'crap wood' like pallets and wood that is damp and it will soot up the flue.

Longest burn I have done has been 18 hours.

Regards

Trevor

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
this was with wood dropped 2 years ago, split 1 year ago and kept dry, lovely:) looking at the lavvos top hat it was spitting the tar out at some point, hey ho, its not my stove, hahahahaha cheers Raikey:D it did the job though matey, many thanks dude!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't use mine in a confined space as a little smoke tends to escape from around the door, top hatch and the end welds. It does tend to soot up in the flu if it's closed down.

I note that the makers don't recommend it's left running overnight in a tent if you look at the instructions here: http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/camping-equipment/frontier-flashing-kit-for-tents/

We advise not to leave the Frontier Stove unattended in the shelter and to make sure it has
been extinguished prior to going to sleep.

This also might be helpful:

Please not that if your Frontier has the flue damper closed for a prolonged period of time you will expect to see a build up of soot or tar in the lower flue section. This will disperse once the damper is opened and cooking temperatures are achieved.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
cool, so not one to keep you warm, just to cook on, which is fine, I guess its down to the original design spec for the Shelterbox chaps, will be better to save up then:)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
How much is a helsport Dave??​

hope the frontier stove didn't do any damage to the tent mate,....

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
None at all matey, its made for stoves :) the helsport seem to run around £300. It was Belting for cooking on dude, as you saw in the pics :D cheers matey, the dudes would Have been very chilly without it, need clean out the flu tubes tomorrow, ready for our camp it up camp out, the extra section and arrester were spot on.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I never used it inside, but I can vouch for the cooking,...

it will get a dutchy going lovely over the hole and two of the small cast iron pans on the back near the flue ,...

needs a warming rack rigging up underneath and it,ll be perfect for what I use it for, which is cooking on when glamping, as an alternative for the BBQ,...

so much more civilised than burning your supper over charcoal,.....

the curry and naan,s look good too!! Glad the dudes were toasty too,..have they fallen asleep yet??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE