Frontier Bushcraft’s ‘Forest Hunter’ Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
Hi, I wasn’t able to post this in the Courses section as I didn’t have the requisite ‘privileges’ to do so... hope this is close enough.

I am enrolled in the Paul Kirtley Forest Hunter course this October, I had missed the enrolment period but managed to get one of the cancelled spaces.

The website gives a fair bit of information, but wondered if anyone here had done this course and had any advice re. Pre course reading, clothing or equipment etc.

I basic skill-at-arms training when an army cadet (a long time ago) and have been out shooting since then, generally with .22 or shotgun, so there’s no anxiety re. firearms, but just want to get the most out of the course that I can.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Reactions: SCOMAN

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just remember that if you get instruction, stuff you already know, be pleased.
Be pleased that you are certainly not far behind at all.

I'd go if there was a kitchen course for prep and cooking game. That's the yummy part.

You might be better off with a knowledgeable perspective to ask the right questions.
When I did the Biology professor thing, we were told that when a student asks a question in class,
there are (on average) at least 8 other students that want to know the answer.

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
Hudson,
Will see you there mate! I managed to get a cancellation as well. Am so looking forward to it. Everything i've read so far seems to really speak volumes of the course.
Are you booked to do your DSC1 as well?
Considered it, but transport is an issue for me as I’m having to fly up there, and unless they assess on site, Its going to be hard to get around.

Plus the extra time off may be an issue with work.

have you got the joining instructions yet?

need to get planning re. transport...

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Amanda at Frontier should have sent you out all the joining instructions. If you pm me your email address, i can forward my copy to you no problem. As far as i can work out, everything is carried out on site and any transportation around the area is via their vehicles. i believe the DSC1 is carried out on the friday and saturday (the written finishing around 2.30pm).
Depending on where you are planning to fly into, i may be able to pick you up on my way. But drop me a pm and we can look into it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I live not far away and Andy (the other instructor) is a friend of mine. I have stalked there with Andy in the past.

I would say an open mind is the best thing, all will be taught from what he has told me. If you want to take it further Andy also does the DSC1 qualification. Take appropriate clothes for 4 seasons and midges. No matter what books you read the minute you land I find it is always different and take the advice of the indigenous (you call tell Andy I called him that).

Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE