Fresnel lens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I was reading through some of the early posts on posable fire lighting techniques on the BG Island show,
one member mentiond using a pair of reading glasses , it was a nice sunny day so I gave it a go on some char cloth , the spot wasn't to great but I got the cloth going easily enough, another member mentiond adding a drop of water to the lens to improve the spot but unless the sun is directly overhead the water just runs off the lens , so in a effort to improve my technique I have orderd a 3x2 Fresnel lens x4 I'm still wating for the lens to arrive and was wondering if its posable or if anyone has tryed lighting a wet fire cube? I have a Horses hoof fungus in the garden , anyone tryed Amado?
Cheers.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've lit fatwood very easily with a small one, and birch bark; if you hold it by the ends between fingertips and bend it slightly you can focus the hot-spot quite precisely.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
That's just reminded me that I have a US army one the a military friend gave me, must give it a try this summer if we get enough sunshine!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
lenses are for wimps :)

seriously though anyone tried this?
bubble-first-try-suburban-stone-age.jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've used amadou, chaga, cramp ball and char cloth with the one on my Hudson's bay tinderbox, it works well, can be tricky to focus at times but on a Nice sunny day it works well, but I much prefer the flint and steel myself. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE