French Windlass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Nice strong setup that you could hang a couple of large pots from without fear of it breaking !

I like the pot hook it looks like a fish caught on a line !

Craig........

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There was a 'campfire cookware' session at the moot on the Tuesday where people were asked to bring along clever campfire gadgets and ideas they used or had seen.

Having only seen this the week previous at Rough Close and was well impressed with its simplicity I knocked one to show people and it was extremely well recieved. I've got to admit I did introduce it as 'Wayland's Windlass' so he got full credit for it and the name kind of stuck :rolleyes::)

The fun bit of making it was making sure your triangle sections lined up on both ends but as folk have pointed out it would more than likely work just as well with one end left rounded.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm sure that name won't stick long. Least I hope not.

Sorry about that Gary :eek:

Were there any other interesting ideas there Steve?

Unfortunately I couldn't stay for the full session as I had to get back and start cooking for the hangi.

From what I did see there were some nice adaptations on the gypsy crane and George had some lovely carved pot hooks.

Roly stayed for the full session so he can tell you about it in September.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And?
After 10 years does it still convince you?
I mean we usually regulate the heat via the amount of added firewood anyway, isn't it?

I mainly see the advantage that you can adjust the height depending on the pot size if you have several pots.

Or do you really cook over embers???

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I still use it occasionally on small camps. These days I tend towards more sumptuous encampments with lots of equipment so I tend to use iron trammels for adjustment instead.

I think a lot depends on whether you are "cooking" or just heating ration packs over the fire. Having spent many years cooking historically accurate food for re-enactment groups over camp fires, I personally appreciate the ability to control the temperature of pots over the fire.

To put that into perspective, I once led a team providing a five course banquet for 120 people over a single trench fire. Sixteen pots, all independently controlled.

This windlass is of course not in that league at all but I still appreciate the fine control it offers.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE