French Boot Fairs - "Viva la difference"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
OK so this isn't really anything like a pleasant walk in the woods nor does it show pretty scenery. Just thought you folks like to have a gander at what a French Boot fair looks like.

Sunday (9th June) I woke up around 8.30am with that familiar "Somewhere a boot fair is happening without me" scent in the air. So I dug out the book that is published each year that lists all the boot fairs in the Calavdos, Orne & Manche regions of the Basse Normande Dept. It lists where the village is and the number of seller tables they expect to have at each. Handy eh?

A brief glance through it and I saw there was one at St Germain de Creoult with 200+ sellers. This was about 10 miles from where I currently live. So I loaded up the shoulder bag with carrier bags (for rusty tools) dropped in an apple and set off in the car with the anticipation of some retail therapy.

I parked in a field about 400m away and wandered though the shut off road barriers to the crowded lanes filled with sellers on both sides of the road and in the fields behind them. None of this Tesco's carpark on a bleak Sunday morning. They do it properly over here, making it a family event. The committee de fete organises the Vide Grenier (Meaning - empty [your] attic)

VideGrenier01_zps9d778482.jpg

They often lash out and set up a bar-be-Que selling sausage in a baguette or a meal involving pork chops and chips. Even the modest boot fairs do this.

VideGrenier02_zps934d6e6f.jpg

They also get a bar set up that serves beers, soft drinks, wines and coffee. The marquee behind is where people can sit in comfort and eat their meal. I had a sausage in a baguette for €2.50 and stood at the bar with a mate of mine who I met there chatting over a coke and a lager.

VideGrenier03_zps22ad10e5.jpg

You get your usual sellers of household goods, some traders also join in but most people avoid them simply because they know they're traders which they could see at any local market. You get collectors selling coins and postcards and vinyl records too. These were located the big building behind the bar-b-Que. I bought myself a handful of old English per-decimal coins including a 1 penny dated 1862. Nice little bit of memorabilia and no, I'm not a coin collector, just like old things like that. Speaking of which - I think this seller's table would make most of you drool. I've seen him several times and bought a drawknife off him 4 years ago that is just a delight to use.

VideGrenier04_zpsb36367be.jpg

Crate full of big adzes.

VideGrenier05_zpscfe80697.jpg

And some double bits axes amongst the rust.

VideGrenier06_zps6deb13ad.jpg

Try not to drool too much over the picture below people. :lmao:

VideGrenier07_zps5c791a75.jpg

For a Sunday in June it was a bit cold because it was so overcast and most people were walking about in hats and winter coats, but you had the usual numpty wearing T-shirt and shorts pretending he wasn't freezing his nuts off.... So perhaps in some respects French Boot fairs are very like the ones in the UK after all. :lmao:

Came home with a nice haul consisting of :-

1 take-down tomahawk
2 drawknifes
3 DVDs
1 German Army issue leather belt
13mm drill chuck & key
3 Hickory (new) axe handles
1 rusted, but salvageable Dutch oven.
and other bits and bobs

Retail therapy was satiated ... until the next time.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I dream a of car boot like that....our local one is huge but the only tools on sale seem to be made by Fisher Price :(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ehh looks a grand day out. Funny how you keep photographing groups of bikers;) Looks an excellent place. A lot of the boot sales here are pretty poo, so if that's the standard calibre then good for you.
Lots of lovely toys and projects there, interested to see you working through them.

All the best,
GB.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks really good. Not been to France for years but it reminds me of the Sunday markets - except they were largely food! The French really do seem to have the knack with things like that ... I miss it, must get back over there for a visit :)

Just to give me an idea of what cash to bring how much was your job lot, roughly?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My local boots are just complete tat. Lucky to find anything that isn't plastic or was diverted from the local tip.
Food wise its transparent puck like burgers or bacon that should be buried rather than eaten.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaron I am now weeping over that goose wing axe head :( It should be mine!

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Good stuff Aaron. I've never come across a boot fair in France, just flea markets. Must check one out next time I'm there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE