fox claw neckless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi
I got two feet from a fox and wonder if it is possible to make a neckless out of the claws. The thing is that the bones and meat are still in the claw, is it enough to dry the claw or do I have to skin it and remove the bone then later fill it with sand or something? I have seen such a neckless as a lucky charm worn by indians in a movie.
claw3.jpg

claw2.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive done this with rabbits,what i do is skin the leg down to the foot before taking the leg off, this makes it easier than trying to just hold the un-attatched leg,(too late in this case Abbe :wink: ) Roll the skin right down and over the foot then cut the bone as low as you can and scrape away as much flesh as you can leave it folded back while you dry it,i salt the skin to draw the moisture out so it drys nicely, once dry roll back. How about stuffing it with some tinder or wet fire blocks then you will have a necklace that mey save your bacon one day.. :wink:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
sorry about the double post, the server gave me a too busy signal and that I should try to post later.

Yes, its a nice pelt and my first one. I am not really sure what I am doing with it yet.

cheers
Abbe

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
That would make a great possibles pouch hard to explain,ill have a go.

Make a small slit in the tail end about 2/3 inches under where the tail is then fold the backside end where the large opening is back in on itself about 3 inches and pull the tail through the slit this reinforces the opening of your pouch and the tail will hang out in line with the face of the fox thus giving you a double thickness to the opening and extra thickness to atatch your belt loop to (you can sew this up later) , like a band of fir around the opening(you still with me?).
then pull it inside out and sew up the opening the head end (any openings) to stop your bits and bobs falling out :roll: .
Then on the belly side you can take about two feet of leather strap say 1 to 2 inches wide (an old belt is perfect) make your stitching holes it it and sew it to the belly leaving enough loop at the top of the pouch to pass your trouser belt through, this will give strength to your pouch, fold it then fur side out and theres your authentic trappers possibles pouch :naughty: well i understand it :lol:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Paganwolf said:
That would make a great possibles pouch hard to explain,ill have a go.

Make a small slit in the tail end about 2/3 inches under where the tail is then fold the backside end where the large opening is back in on itself about 3 inches and pull the tail through the slit this reinforces the opening of your pouch and the tail will hang out in line with the face of the fox thus giving you a double thickness to the opening and extra thickness to atatch your belt loop to (you can sew this up later) , like a band of fir around the opening(you still with me?).
then pull it inside out and sew up the opening the head end (any openings) to stop your bits and bobs falling out :roll: .
Then on the belly side you can take about two feet of leather strap say 1 to 2 inches wide (an old belt is perfect) make your stitching holes it it and sew it to the belly leaving enough loop at the top of the pouch to pass your trouser belt through, this will give strength to your pouch, fold it then fur side out and theres your authentic trappers possibles pouch :naughty: well i understand it :lol:

cool mate, how did you get the idea?
//Abbe

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Abbe Osram said:
cool mate, how did you get the idea?
//Abbe
Old french canadian trapper method :wink: (a friend told me lol) i made a hare one once but it ended up as a whippet coursing lure :lol: (it turned out pants :roll: ) a fox one with your winter pelt would be fantastic. :) My mate has a whole hare in his freezer ill get it and make one and take some pictures..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE