Fox Brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Hi everyone
My lad wants a foxes tail to put on his pack/ hat.
If I find a decent one on a road kill how do I go about cleaning / preserving it etc as I have no idea.
Thanks in advance.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Basically, what you have to do, is get rid of the meat and bone inside of the tail. You do this by skinning the tail, leaving some skin on the tail as well. Then you want to let it dry. There might be vids on youtube to help you:)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Slice a ring around the base of the tail....put your boot lace around the exposed base in a slip knot. Wrap the live end of the lace around a stick /knife handle.....stand on its back legs....pull handle towards you.....it will either slide off smooth, start turning inside out or stick like glue, in which case you'll need to carefully help it off with little slices of the membrane .....then cure by what ever means take your fancy :thumbup:

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Cheers guys
Now to find a decent , recently deceased Basil Brush
Travel the A55 everyday it's quite a death trap for the furries, a lot of badgers recently , maybe a badger tail as well.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers guys
Now to find a decent , recently deceased Basil Brush
Travel the A55 everyday it's quite a death trap for the furries, a lot of badgers recently , maybe a badger tail as well.

You could potentially be prosecuted for taking anything from a badger even if its roadkill. Just a friendly warning :thumbup:

mullermoon

Apr 18, 2012
yorkshire
Skin the tail, as per CHISELLERS instructions, then place it in a jam jar full of methelated spirits for two weeks.Take it out,hang it on the washing line to dry. Job Done. Cures a brush perfectly.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've skinned the tail using the split stick method. Cut through the skin at the base of the tail as said before and instead of using a shoe lace use a split stick. Make sure it gets under the skin of the tail, otherwise you just end up rubbing it

The meths method works. However I had my tail for many years hanging in a dark garage, then moved house and hung it in a shed whereby it promptly got eaten by flies. They were very small and white in colour. Don't know if the light helped or if the meths had worn off but you might need to keep an eye on it once you've had it for some time.

Keeping anything from a badger is a no-no I'm afraid. A shame I know, if you come across a roadkill you can't take the tail but there you go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE