Found a Shrimp/Crab Cage under £5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kroozin

Sep 2, 2009
North East England, Teesside.
Just a quick heads up for those of you looking to try some shrimp/ crayfish/ crab caging. Found these for sale in my local "The Range" store.

[size=+2]REMEMBER YOU NEED A SPECIFIC LICENCE FROM ENVIRONMENT AGENCY AND LAND OWNERS PERMISSION TO USE THESE![/size]

First is advertised as a "Metal Shrimp Cage" It comes in two parts left and right, they simply slide together. Metal was solid not flimsy. £3.99
http://www.therange.co.uk/invt/395831/&bklist=

There is also a "Deluxe Cylinder Shrimp/Crab Trap" advertised on the website what i couldn't find in store. £4.99
http://www.therange.co.uk/invt/395830/&bklist=

Thanks
James

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I have two of the collapsible creels, Kroozin (the 2nd link), £12 p&p, and have used them with great success when out kayaking at sea. So far I've dined on parten crab, lobster and one or two 10" long west coast prawns. :campfire:

I've also had a few codling, which were rather tasty and a conger about 4 feet long, which was entertaining when sitting in my kayak. Fortunately, it eventually managed to get its tail out of the creel and reversed into freedom, which was just as well as I didn't really fancy offering up my hand.

All in all, I'd say I've had my money's worth!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Those cylindrical, collapsible ones are the 'mutts' for what they cost.

I do find that I have better results if I put a lead weight on the side with the zip opening and having the bait pouch suspended at the top.
I think it encourages the crays to come up in the water a bit and climb into the trap. I did notice with the bait pouch at the bottom that some crays were underneath the trap and hadn't climbed in.
The weight also helps with positioning the trap and knowing it's not going to move in running water.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I'm sure it was Mr Sunshine's I got mine from the summer before last. Definitely a bargain and have easily covered their cost in free eats.

I replaced the polyprop cord with blind-cord and use that to lash a rock on the end bottom/hoop, Bushwhacker, using a length of para-cord for the float-line and tying it on the opposite end, top/hoop. I find that works well and will keep the trap right side up, with the bait bag at the top. Prior to doing this, I discovered damage to the mesh where crabs had been mashing the bait bag from outside the trap. Problem solved!

Have you tried them for signal crayfish, Bushwhacker? I've just discovered that they've been identified on my local river. (The only problem there is the ex-Special Forces water bailiff, whom I suspect might easily out-manoeuvre me on my home patch! He has in the past wiped the smiles from the faces of some of the local wide-boys.)

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The only problem there is the ex-Special Forces water bailiff, whom I suspect might easily out-manoeuvre me on my home patch! He has in the past wiped the smiles from the faces of some of the local wide-boys.

He's gotta sleep at some point :lmao:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Ok which of you lot have been shopping in the Reading Range store and bought all of the traps! I went there today to pick one up and found them all gone!
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE