Found a baby raven with a broken wing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Bunch of ravens making a racket in the woods, so I investigated. Found a young one with a compound fracture. I think it jumped out of the nest (it's about that age). Got the bone back inside the skin, but couldn't align the ends. Immobilized it with vet wrap, and it's in a chicken coop now. Anyone ever set a bone? I don't know if it's hopeless and would only cause unnecessary suffering, or if I should give it another go.

IMG_1827.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find a vet or make it a pet. They make good pets, and they live a long time too. They're clever and interesting to have around.

best of luck with it,

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Very good guard-dogs apparently, I have a cousin in Transylvania who raised two from chicks. they watch over his valley and come down to the house when strangers (or bears and wolves) are around. I'd take it to vet though. :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
it'll die i expect all animals are highly susceptible to shock and having a broken bone messed with is not a pleasant experience

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
it'll die i expect all animals are highly susceptible to shock and having a broken bone messed with is not a pleasant experience

I dunno, they are tough creatures. A vet will be able to reset it without much hassle as long as the break is clean.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I gotta agree with the "get a vet" posts. Don't know about making it a pet though; I think ravens might be a protected species in some states and you'd probably need a special permit for that. Your N.H. Dept of Wildlife & Conservation (or whatever N.H. calls the equivalent agency) could tell you more with more certainty.

Good luck to you and your feathered friend.

Bones

Oct 27, 2008
Ireland
I have taken in a few crows over the years, the last being a poisoned Hooded Crow, which recovered perfectly and was released. I have found that the struggle to survive is what makes these birds thrive. If it is still young, and fed regularly by you, then that will retard it's developement. Give it plenty of time to be hungry, by itself calling for food. Place food and water nearby it so that it learns to start feeding itself. The bones heal fairly fast, so don't worry about that. Long term caring for a crow takes time, lots of time.
It may be better for you to return the bird to where you found it. More than likely there were parents feeding it. Although your act of kindness and compassion is admirable, it is contrary to nature. Crows regularly fall from the nest to feed ground predators. Over the last few years of caring for various wounded crows, I have come to realise it is better not to interfere. Nearly every crow I cared for became heavily dependant on me, and the reintroduction of the crow back to nature was not always successful. They do make entertaining pets. Jackdaws are the most entertaining. A Raven will be a big responsibility for you, should you choose to keep it.

I think the best thing to do, is keep the bird for a few days for the bones to set, then unwrap the bird check for infection and return to the very spot you found it. The parents should hear the call and return to feeding it.
Raw egg and minced beef are good foods. If the bird is unable to feed itself, then spoon feed it.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Having been bought up in part on a farm and having strong family links to gamekeeping etc I know exactly the damage that corvids do. I have a soft spot for any injured animal but I would have been inclined to neck this one- sorry. Now it's been looked after I'd vote for returning it or giving it away.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've dropped it off at a veterinary college. It's still alive and scrappy. I'm to call back in a couple days. I'll let you know what the prognosis is.

Thanks very much for the update, I hope the college can help. They're magnificent birds, even if their appetites aren't to everyone's taste. :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Well done for rescuing the poor bird! Sure it will survive with care, they are tough. When I was a kid rescued a crow with abroken wing and kept as a 'pet'. Used to land on my shoulder when I went in the garden! Great fun.

Unfortunately though Legally you cannot keep as a pet any wild animal without a permit. Doubt vet will release bird to your care.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE