Forging/ blacksmithing book recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Evening all. I've finally got a bit of time to engage in a bit of experimentation! I really would like to have a go at making a blade using primitive techniques. Could any of you point me towards any useful books, blogs or YouTube videos which might cover things like making a home forge, identifying useful metals etc?

Any guidance much appreciated

Many thanks j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For centuries, First Nations here have been making very good knives from smaller files.
Their "forge" was and is no more than a covered trench in the ground. You could do this tomorrow.
In this day and time, very good knives can be made from both new and used farrier's hoof-trimming knives (my favorites).
Excellent steel for adze blades comes from the stacked leaf springs of larger 1-ton (eg Ford F350) truck springs.

Here's justification for ripping a BMW car apart:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
For centuries, First Nations here have been making very good knives from smaller files.
Their "forge" was and is no more than a covered trench in the ground. You could do this tomorrow.
In this day and time, very good knives can be made from both new and used farrier's hoof-trimming knives (my favorites).
Excellent steel for adze blades comes from the stacked leaf springs of larger 1-ton (eg Ford F350) truck springs.

Here's justification for ripping a BMW car apart:

Cheers matey

Definitely don't want to do anything too complicated, love the hole in the ground forge, have seen something similar employed by dave Budd (of these parts)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Neo tribal bladesmithing.

Do a Google search for that and you will have all the videos and forum discussions you can handle ;)

Books, well the $50 knife shop, by Wayne Goddard is pretty good.

A Youtube search for Washtub forge will get you some useful hits that may lead to more.

I remember Tai Goo being an interesting character to look up. He used to post on BladeForums and has a few short videos on Youtube. He is old school, not one of the new generation who get as much, or more, from posting videos as they do from doing their craft, so there may not be so much of his stuff around.

Don Fogg's forum is good for metal smithing https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Neo tribal bladesmithing.

Do a Google search for that and you will have all the videos and forum discussions you can handle ;)

Books, well the $50 knife shop, by Wayne Goddard is pretty good.

A Youtube search for Washtub forge will get you some useful hits that may lead to more.

I remember Tai Goo being an interesting character to look up. He used to post on BladeForums and has a few short videos on Youtube. He is old school, not one of the new generation who get as much, or more, from posting videos as they do from doing their craft, so there may not be so much of his stuff around.

Don Fogg's forum is good for metal smithing https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php

Cheers matey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE