Forest of Dean wild camp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Hi all,i am having a bit of a debate with my wild camping buddies about how suitable the FOD is for wild camping,i and a friend think it is not remote enough for a relaxed camp(not looking out for rangers and the like)and seems to have too many paths/tracks,but a few others are willing to give it ago,thing is we take it in turns in planning a trip and i don't want to sound like a spoil sport on the other hand i don't want a wasted trip.I am not asking for secret spots to camp just some feedback good or bad.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all,i am having a bit of a debate with my wild camping buddies about how suitable the FOD is for wild camping,i and a friend think it is not remote enough for a relaxed camp(not looking out for rangers and the like)and seems to have too many paths/tracks,but a few others are willing to give it ago,thing is we take it in turns in planning a trip and i don't want to sound like a spoil sport on the other hand i don't want a wasted trip.I am not asking for secret spots to camp just some feedback good or bad.

Wild camping as in camping on land that's not your property, nor your friends, nor you have permission to camp on, nor on a designated campspot - therefor illegal?

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I am aware of the law surrounding wild camping,i was just asking for peoples experiences around FOD,parts of Dartmoor are illegal to camp on but it is tolerated same with the Brecons,Black mountains,i just was curious to see how it was policed.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I think that was what is known as a subtle hint :)

Like a brick to the back of the head

in regards to wild camping in areas designated a no go area there is nearly always a reason and its not just to be a spoil sport, not everyone who wild camps is careful regards to fire, wood collecting , and litter as these areas don't have on site persons to keep a eye on things loch lomond is a classic example it was near enough a no go area it got that bad,so you see my point is how do to you pick and choose who can use the land if you dont know who is there my answer would be find land that you can get permission on or a remote campsite like the one in neath lone wolf

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Me and my mates are not teenagers looking for a place to rave and have massive fires were all pushing 40 and get together once every couple of months to go camping and sit around with a glass or two and chat after a decent walk,i know about the legalities of where i can and cannot camp,that is why we nearly always camp on Dartmoor i was just after a few pointers about the FOD and the strictness of the no camp rule,some areas around the country turn a blind eye to wild campers as long as the natural habitat is not damaged or abused.Basically we do not to waste a precious weekend away from household chores and screaming kids.
This is by no means a dig at Ahjno.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Forget wild camping in the FoD, the rangers are hot about it due to the danger they represent to people that look after deer management and other sensitive sites that are the home to protected species. You may not think, or be aware you are doing damage, but just your presence may cause just that in some areas and they are paid very well to stop this from happening. Rangers there are pretty heavy with calling the police and prosecuting, the last thing they want is to deal with the aftermath when a ranger accidently shoots some sleeping camper who is illegally off the beaten track and behind the deer he is aiming at.

Last edited:

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I even get a bit paranoid camping in the middle of Dartmoor,i keep thinking someone will turn up and make you pack up your kit then walk you back to your car or the nearest campsite,trying not to hurt my mates feelings about this camp but i think i need to tell him it is a no go.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Oops i have had to pitch in FOD loads of times as for wardens/rangers/police if you cant notice them coming or realise where they are headed you certainly shouldn't be doing it
Personally never noticed they were particularly "hot"; apart from driving their well marked vehicles to the pub in areas that are not suited to my needs anyway
Same as anywhere arrive late and leave early; certainly no fire and leave no trace
Use a map and talk to some locals some of whom do it more than us
Oh and DOE use FOD regularly for "wild" camping and their idea of stealth is not the same as mine
Of course wild camping is a civil offence

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are hot in those areas where deer management and sensitive sites are, maybe not so in other areas. Certainly where the DofE folks go, those are not sensitive areas. Certain sites are monitered very closely due to the illegal activity of 'collecting'. I obviously know about that side of things as reptile habitats are one of the protected sites. Birds of prey nesting sites too, amongst a few others like Dormice and bats.

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
Never camped there, but vaguely remember a program on BBC about deer - the rangers had thermal imaging (not just night vision) to help track them! Of course, that could have been just for the telly...

...and I might have mis-remembered the location

HTH :)

Simon

ps. hope you have fun wherever you go!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
H i dirtyben, with respect you live in Somerset , if you PM me I have a site on the very edge of Dartmoor , where you can camp legally , enjoy a glass or two , have a fire , with literally open acess to the Moor , safe vehicle parking , safe drinking water ( spring , tested twice a year ) all for a fiver a night per head , no dog walkers , wandering through camp , no wardens to move you on , you won't see another soul , so there's an option for you and your pals .

If you want an idea as to what the site looks like , look under meetups and gatherings heading , anything with the word Dartmoor or Ivan in the title , there it all is , just a thought .

Ivan...

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Listen to Ivan mate
I have been to his place and its a great wild spot for you to camp out in. great for tarps,tents,bivis and fires

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Hi Ivan,thanks for the very kind offer of the use of your land my friend is on the lookout for another camp possibly in the Brecons(i prefer your offer)could you tell me what part of Dartmoor do you live in

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Was up in the Black Mountains over new year. Camping is mainly tolerated there, so long as you behave sensibly. I met the local fisheries bailiff on the way to my intended site by the reservoir, told him my intentions, and he said "You obviously know what you are doing and are being sensible - have a good time". Effectively, I had permission.

The fact that you might be worried about wardens etc means you shouldn't use that site.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Love to try the black mountains,trying to get my kit down to a reasonable weight before attempting mountains again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2014
London
H i dirtyben, with respect you live in Somerset , if you PM me I have a site on the very edge of Dartmoor , where you can camp legally , enjoy a glass or two , have a fire , with literally open acess to the Moor , safe vehicle parking , safe drinking water ( spring , tested twice a year ) all for a fiver a night per head , no dog walkers , wandering through camp , no wardens to move you on , you won't see another soul , so there's an option for you and your pals .

If you want an idea as to what the site looks like , look under meetups and gatherings heading , anything with the word Dartmoor or Ivan in the title , there it all is , just a thought .

Ivan...

Hi Ivan,

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I found this link on a random goolge search. Is this location still available for camping? (sorry, I can't PM you as i'm a new user)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE