Force ten cotton flysheet repair needed :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Just unpacked my tent from the boot of the car and noticed a rip about 24" long on the side of the flysheet. I had bundled the tent into the back of the car along with other gear in a hurry so I reckon something has ripped it when driving back up the road. Question is:
a) can I just use tent repair tape?
b) can I sew it?
c) can someone on here repair it cheaply?
I really love this tent and it's still like new so don't want to have to chuck it. The tear is next to a seam so might be fixable I hope :(

The tent in question is a vango force ten mk3 with the orange cotton outer.
101_1657.jpg

101_1662.jpg

101_1661.jpg

Cheers, Davie

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'd sew it and then use a seam sealer on both sides.I had some burn holes in my tarp and used a darning mushroom to repair them and then seam sealer on both sides.It's as waterproof as it ever was.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - the side guy seam tear! I have seen many of those on cotton Force 10s over the years...This is what I would do.
Make a patch about 1" bigger all round than the tear, using a similar weight fabric (the stuff sack the tent came in supplies several!) and mahe sure the edges are neatly turned under. Pin (or "Wunderweb" the patch in place and sew it on wthe inside of the rip using twin lines of stitching. From the outside od the work Zig Zag stitch the tear onto the patch. Use a wax based waterproofer to seal the stitching.

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
I was just going to say that !! I think the cotton fly is about £89 ! Blacks of Greenoch is the place Vango sell thru'

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Ah - the side guy seam tear! I have seen many of those on cotton Force 10s over the years...This is what I would do.
Make a patch about 1" bigger all round than the tear, using a similar weight fabric (the stuff sack the tent came in supplies several!) and mahe sure the edges are neatly turned under. Pin (or "Wunderweb" the patch in place and sew it on wthe inside of the rip using twin lines of stitching. From the outside od the work Zig Zag stitch the tear onto the patch. Use a wax based waterproofer to seal the stitching.

Cheers John, No access to a sewing machine though i'm afraid. Might talk nicely to my mother and see if I can borrow hers. It could well have ripped while th tent was up as it was blowing a force 7 gale most of the night on the last night of the trip. Any of my other fibre glass poled tents would have blown flat though lol. Long live the force ten :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE