Foraging by Month Calendar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
There was one, yes, but I can't remember where at the moment. I have a printout of it. I'll post a response if I remember where it was.

Geoff

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Why not drop Ahjno a PM?

Geoff

Done.

Ahnjo also said back in 2006:
"As some already know, I'm currently working on a (very big) project regarding plants ... Before there will be any result shown on the forum I decided to do a mini version with about 95 plants - the results are shown below. Within a few months there will be more information available about these plants, other than their edible qualities."

So I have asked where he is with this great project....hopefully we will not have to reinvent the wheel if the work has been done :D

leon-1

We are all dying to know about the results of this project (well i am at least).

Stu

Ahjno has been a very busy bee over the past few years and may not have been able to devote as much time to this as he would have liked. I know he had been working a lot on this in his spare time, but he doesn't get so much of that now.

In brief the guy has a lot on his plate so if he doesn't appear to have got as far with this as you would have liked then it's not wholly his fault.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Ahjno has been a very busy bee over the past few years and may not have been able to devote as much time to this as he would have liked. I know he had been working a lot on this in his spare time, but he doesn't get so much of that now.

In brief the guy has a lot on his plate so if he doesn't appear to have got as far with this as you would have liked then it's not wholly his fault.

Im not expecting anything Leon. I just want to know what reply littlebiglane got from Ahjno regarding the project. I didnt mean to upset anyone. You seem a little defensive mate; why???

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hey guys. I am sure that we can keep this on an 'even keel' :rolleyes:

I am sure IntrepidStu was simply enquiring as to this (and my PM) as we are all interested in such a resource. :grouphug:

Leon is right - I have heard from Ahjno and he has been very busy and has not been able to devote time to this project. He also said that things like Ray Mear / Gordon Hillman's wild food book somewhate negates the real need for such a calendar as it is very comprehensive. I have a copy and am not so sure myself! I wanted to combine Roger Phillips, Ray Mears, Richard Mabey, Hugh F-W's Wild Food and some others into an uber-list.

What I am really looking for is, in the first instance a bit of an aide memoire that I can print out and put on the door to my fridge that simply lists, by month, the various food-stuffs in season. In that way - when it takes me - and I am off foraging I can simply refer to this as I put my wellies on and stride out the door. In that way Ahjno's list only needs a little extending to take in extra plants and plant by-products (ie birch or sycamore sap) or even some sea/river food - along with their common habitat. I asked his permission if I could take his list and make some additions and post it back. It might be over time that others can add to this list and it could grow in size.

My other idea was to provide links (with each plant) to a internet OD resource and even possibly to recipes for prep and cooking of the said plants - but that would be a future idea.

LBL:grouphug:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The idea for a callender also cropped up on Downsizer here: http://forum.downsizer.net/about28929

The main issue with the calender was the huge seasonal variations around the UK and the problem with the project was finding people with enough time.

I was hoping that could make it a co-operative thing that grows over time. We could add seasonal information according to region if we wanted. I wonder if there was some form of co-operative posting tool that Tony could bolt on-to the site for co-operative work (like the Bushcraft Recipe Book) so we could all edit the same data?

Anyway - I think we start small and build and update it over time........

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE