for all you kit monsters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
this will only result in the militry giving the soldiers more to carry and when breaks down the soldier may have to dump kit which is too heavy

it would be a long long time before it is relieable enough for use in the field

your right mad :-D

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
for sure stuart, my knees and hips still remind me of the "more kit" syndrome,but i bet theres a few ranks who cant wait to get hands on,better get the trusty black maskers out to unshine the shiny though :)

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
My first thought is the spine. Compression injuries can be a real problem when carying heavy loads over long distances. I couldn't tell from the pic whether the pack and frame were all in one or seperate.
IMO, kit like that would be a real hinderance to a soldier. What the modern soldier needs is less kit and more knowledge - IMHO.

Bear

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
With you there bearstone - speaking from experience the legs only take part of the strain - and I dont see those legs being much use when it comes to running or the good old dash, down crawl, observe, sights and fire of a scrap!

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Not an endorsement, but if any here read the SF novel "Armor," this is moving in the "every soldier a tank" direction. Even current body armor/armour is heavy. The version that can defeat an RPG needs something beyond flesh and blood to carry it around and resist impact forces. SF writers of even ten years ago will recognize what may be in use twenty years from now -- whether it really works well or not.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
The "every man a tank" concept doesn't work for me.....

It'll just result in "every rifleman a LAW gunner".

There are applications for cybernetics within the military, obviously. But I'd imagine it lies more in the direction of SF use, particularly in the CT role where the opposition will have a problem in countering the advantages of any prosthetics.

Nick in Belfast

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
While this incarnation is quite refined, the basic idea has been around since the 50s - I've got academic textbooks with pictures of exoskeletons that were being developed by DARPA back when cybernetics was a hot topic the first time round!

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Didn't mean to suggest that it would work every time, GP, just that this is a line of development. "Technology solves all" is tons of money for defense contractors. :roll:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
1.jpg

cheers, and.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
he looks really comfortable doesnt he, blends in well too ,well it would if you lived in robot world

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
:rolmao:
He looks like he's just come off the set for T3!
al said:
he looks really comfortable doesnt he, blends in well too ,well it would if you lived in robot world

N

Nyogtha13

That means that they have 38000 years to perfect it then!
(I don't play either)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE