Food from the moors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
What food stuff is it possible to forage on the high moors and hills. So far I have only been able to find Blueberries and Gorse flowers.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It depends on the moors. Some of the lancs grassland moors can be really poor. Thistles soft stems and roots are pretty nice eating but a bit fiddly. Buckler sorrel is alright but there ain't much to it. A drink can be made from crushed fresh couch grass, not tried it though. I have found watercress, but never high enough that I would eat it raw. I look out for shrub size plants this time of year, as generally there are going to be elder, hawthorn or hazel.

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
Depends what the soil type is as that will dictate what grows there.

But on an average high acidic moor up here in Scotland, the answer is not a lot.
Eg certain parts of these are edible Crowberry, Bilberry, bogmyrtle, some thistles, gorse , bracken and heather...
I am surprised to see bracken in that list as bracken poisoning is the cause of a lot of Horse deaths. When cut green bracken contains an enzyme capable of destroying vitamin B1 and is cumulative. (information from Veterinary notes for horse owners by Cpt M. Horace Hayes FRCVS)

I am surprised to see bracken in that list as bracken poisoning is the cause of a lot of Horse deaths. When cut green bracken contains an enzyme capable of destroying vitamin B1 and is cumulative. (information from Veterinary notes for horse owners by Cpt M. Horace Hayes FRCVS)

Have a look at any wild food books and you will see many plants considered to be toxic in one form or another. For example check out Food for free, or wildfood or even some historical references and see the evidence yourself. For example bracken is carcinogenic, particulary the spores and it's not recommended to be eaten after the young fronds unfurl and some recommend frying. There are numerous examples of wild plants considered edible but with some risk, you just need to have the knowledge to either prepare it or to make an assessment whether to accept that risk or not or minimise it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE