Folding Trivet based on RM's site's one - will hold a dutch oven or a cup easily

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
This is something I knocked up last night while SWMBO was watching Brucie dancing.

Trivetprototype2.jpg

Its made from 15mm x 3mm black steel. It is 270mm wide and stands 250mm high. It folds to 45mm high and weighs 850 grams (no it's not titanium - I wouldn't know where to source it from :))
It could of course, be any size you wanted.
It's only had it's first coat of spray, so you can still see odd bits of almost bare metal. I have no idea why I sprayed it when it's going on a fire, and I didn't just coat it in vegetable oil, as I would normally do.
It is just a prototype based loosely on the one on RM's site that he can no longer source from Africa. I may change the inner support bars to make it a little lighter.
I put the biggest pot of flowers we had in the garden on it, to make sure it would take the weight of a dutch oven, with no ill effects.

Trivetprototype6.jpg

I put the bars in the middle so if you needed to make a cuppa in your billy can or lid you could.
It all folds flat so it will go in a back pack, etc.

FoldigTrivetPrototype10.jpg

Price will be £28 inc PayPal ,P and P and a light coating of vegetable oil - not black spray
(Heat proof paint add £2 extra please)
This is cheaper to BCUK members (than I am offering it to others on another site) due to their continued support of my stuff
Please feel free to comment on this thread and PM me with any orders

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
That's very nice.

Makes me wanna disappear into the garage and make one, Sadly babysitting duties won't allow a.t.m. well done.

ganstey

Settler
That's very, very, nice!

A couple of years ago I got a mate of mine to weld up a rectangular stand to cook on over an open fire. Half was mesh, the other half steel plate to use as a hotplate. Works a treat, but I got the sizes wrong in my head and it measures about 3ft by 2ft, by 18" high, and is called "Geoff" (long story) :rolleyes: When I next dig it out of the garage I'll try and remember to take a picture, although its not exactly portable :lmao:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Mark 2
Quick mod to the middle bars. Still just as strong (I even tried standing on it quickly - Very daring if you've met me and seen my extremely ample frame (have a look on the Norwich & Norfolk Thread) :) ;))

WKTrivetnew2.jpg

WKTrivetnew.jpg

Just needs oiling up and packing off to the person thats ordered it, and then onto the next one

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Excellent bit of kit , Kev well done , i think u will sell those like hot cakes bud

Cheers for that.
A few sold already. I've started back at work today (after 3 months off) & I'm Cream Crackered.
I'll get the rest out in the next couple of days though.
Anyone else fancy one don't forget to PM with your order.
If you want a different size, let me know and I'll change it for you :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Received today thanks Kev

Solid bit of kit and looks sweet under my skillet or dutchie

Thanks again mate

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
5 gone two more ordered.
The 2 that are waiting, I'm waiting for some more steel to be delivers. Tried all the garden centres and builders merchants in March and Chatteris today after work. None to be had anywhere. I'll get some on Saturday hopefully (and my new hydraulic press will be here (WOHOO! :) ;))

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Two more completed and waiting to be sent out. They're the new mark 3 I've been working on.
Now my Hydraulic press has arrived (Thanks Grebby and for the kind offer when I'm your way) it may soon be the Mark iv ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE