Folding Saw £4!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Percy92

Feb 4, 2013
Ashington, Northumberland
Hey there BSUK community!

Right we all know the bennifit's of carrying a folding saw in out pack, the advantage's it brings when you need to get into place's the bow saw or axe just wont fit! Or getting a more smoother cut than the axe will bring you when cutting something down. + Endless other reason's we carry it!

I have just purchased a £4 folding saw (I have a couple of better one's). Though it was fairly cheap, and seem's from price it'll be flimsy and crap, so far it's fairly sturdy, has a locking system for when the blade's closed and open, also has a hole to attatch a strap, and the blade seem's fairly strong and sharp. For £4 I couldn't resist the temptation to buy it just to check it out and test it.

0135722_l.jpg

The saw came from Wilkinsons in store, here's the link for it on there

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/pruner...gardening-folding-saw/invt/0135722/?VBMST=saw

It's an okay colour as well, black and green. It's fairly stiff as well when folding, not to stiff or to loose where you know from opening it, it's going to be crap. It's just right, which has give me a good feeling to how well it may work when in action.

I have attatched a string cord to it, to hang it on my wrist when I'm using it and what not. I have pulled the wilko's stickers off each side so it looks abit better (rather than show the world bushcraft is about wilko's stuff haha).

I am going to test it as soon as I can in the the next week or two and will be sure to bring an update with it's bennifits and downfalls, including price and it's durability.

Any one used one before? Or considered it? Any opinion's / comments on the saw, it's price and durability?

If it work's well and last's a while, it's the perfect saw for the beginner not looking to spend to much on there first lot of kit! For £4 you just can't go wrong!

I'll be sure to post an update on how well it goes in use.

Regards,

Percy.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I got a similar saw from Aldi a few years back and it has lasted pretty well,works on a pull motion rather than a push and it is designed for green wood.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
I got two from lidl for £3 which are bril and very strong, the pound shop where doing some that were pretty good in fact I beat a Laplander in a race with one. Iv also got a wilko one like that I have to say the design is great very similar to the Laplander but I'm not a fan of the blade on it, infact I think it's pretty pore, but I do wonder if other blade will fit it to improve it.

Percy92

Feb 4, 2013
Ashington, Northumberland
Ah thanks for the advice on the blade being poor smokeyjoe, I may look into that abit further if my blade fails me then. And I might check out those other stores for folding saw's, I've been keeping an aye on those type of place's recently for a new project I'm working on.

And cheers dirty den it's good to be able to source cheaper priced equipment now and again for certain things.

Oh yeah, the project. I'm working on making a bushcraft pack for a beginner as cheap as possible, as most beginner's don't like to spend to much since they might not take to it. So I'm looking at

- Folding Saw, Axe, Knife
- Mess Kit / Stove
- Sleeping Bag, Bivvi Bag, Sleeping Bag
- Rucksack
- Basha / Bivvi, Pegs, Paracord, Bungees
- Water Bottle, Torch, Flint (or simular for fire)

Working out what people can source from household stuff they may own, cheapest place's to get different bits of equipment & the odd bit of DIY kit you can make easily yourself. Hopefully bringing the kit load for a new comer (some one starting from the very basics with no experience), to around £30 tops for the main bits of kit, and rest being DIY from house hold goods and other bits already owning.

Making the kit myself, so can do a thread on it completely and add it to my up and coming web site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE