Folding Bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
Another lockdown project, this one a bit quicker. I ordered a 24" Bahco dry cut blade and based the proportions off that. I used oak, mostly because I had some well-seasoned in the workshop, but it's also a very strong wood so a decent choice in it's own right.
DKivkuZ.jpg

I used slotted head bolts for ease of tightening in the field, with the nuts carefully recessed into the wood by pressing them into slightly smaller diameter holes with the vice.
HGqKDHa.jpg

The handles are slotted so that the blade is entirely hidden when stowed. Both the bolt holes and paracord holes are lined with copper tubing for a bit of additional strength and longevity.
ZSnwHLI.jpg

I used some surplus canvas from my lavvu (one of the shoulder flaps) to make a slip, which I then waterproofed with homemade greenland wax. This makes it feel much tougher and water now runs straight off.
lPE31C3.jpg

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
That's nop notch, my son was only talking about making one the other day I'll show him the pics for inspiration

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
That's nop notch, my son was only talking about making one the other day I'll show him the pics for inspiration

Thanks, that's high praise indeed. The only thing I'd advise against is to cut so deeply into the handles between the paracord holes and the mortices. It's a nice aesthetic choice but on reflection I'm a bit worried about that whole section shearing off if the tension is too high.

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
Thanks, that's high praise indeed. The only thing I'd advise against is to cut so deeply into the handles between the paracord holes and the mortices. It's a nice aesthetic choice but on reflection I'm a bit worried about that whole section shearing off if the tension is too high.
Thanks for the tip, I've lots of oak avout as well , he's just finishing his 3rd year carpentry and joinery apprentership, so it'll be a nice change from the normal site work for him

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE