Fold-flat cooking pot?

C

Chitterne

Tried my best to search this; without success.

Wondering if anyone's had any luck with fold-flat cooking pots (buying or making)?.

Googling found one fellow trying Ti foil and copying the orikaso design -couldn't tell whether he succeeded or not!

Anyone here had any success?

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
To my knowledge (!) the only type of folding cookware is the aluminium foil containers which can be folded flat to fit in a survival kit for boiling water and cooking whatever may be scavenged, caught or carried.

Longevity is not a factor with such containers, though they are available in many sizes in 6 and 12 packs for £1, they do work, though are intentionally short term and emergency use items.

The Snow Peak Titanium Bowl and Plate weigh nothing and are great as cookpots, they're also quite cheap at £8:95 each for Ti cookware! They don't fold though.

I'm curious, why do you want folding cookware? :confused:

C

Chitterne

Thanks - great idea on the foil containers!

I'm curious, why do you want folding cookware? :confused:

A strange part of my brain wants to be able to go for a day on the hill with a hot snack and brew kit comfortably in my pocket: Couple of hexi blocks, fold flat boiling vessel, couple of tea bags, sachets of whiteners and sugar, couple of swedish plastic folding mugs, large sachet of cous cous or similar.

H

He' s left the building

Take the lid from a one-litre Tatonka kettle. Small and low profile, will slip into a pocket, won't split or leak, decent handle. Brew kit and solid fuel in the cavity, foil dishes for a lid and windbreak (wrap the brew sachets and matches in one foil dish and the fuel in the other), use nails or stones to support the 'pan' over the flames, Bob's your Aunty's live-in lover :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Its not a strange part of your brain, its creative and inventive!
happy0034.gif

I use some of the containers (take-away style, from the £1 shop) in my kits which are not 'tin' based, I decided to try them out prior to including them in the kits.

Did the same as you, and it works well, especially if you use the paper/card lids as intended. I enjoyed the simplicity, very low weight and bulk, and the sheer practicality of it.

Besides which, its inexpensive fun with food, fire and a brew!
happy0054.gif

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I remember In scouts
(i think it was just to prove a point rather than a practical idea)
Someone boiled water in a paper bag.

I think the idea being the water stopped the bag burning but still got hot.
(it may have been waxed paper)

anyhow that would definately fold flat!:D

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Why not just use ali foil. Get the fire going and use aleast two layers of foil to make a bag, pop your dinner in the bag seal the bag and then pop the bag in the embers. Your very own pressure cooker.
I cook a chilli this way with the scouts quite often.

As an alternative you can cook a stew in cabbage leaves, you need to use savoy or simular cabbage. I use 3 leaves one inside the other, The outer one will get burnt by the fire as may the second one. But the inner will cook along with the stew. So not only foldable but also edible and compostable.

What more could you ask for ?

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
A meal for two.
If you use heavy duty AL foil cut a square 2ft by 2ft. lay flat
now lay in your sliced potatoes onion carrots beef patties salt and pepper to taste
now fold up the sides being sure to have all sides closed
now bake in coals for 45 minutes. Open and enjoy

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I think the idea being the water stopped the bag burning but still got hot.
(it may have been waxed paper):D

The water absorbs the heat from the fire preventing the paper from getting hot enough to begin pyrolysis.

i have seen water boiling in a flimsy plastic cup before, while it was on a table that was burning.

Louis

Sounds like you bring water (probably in a bottle or a platy bladder or similar).

What is wrong with just a billy (soup can) around your bottle. Or an army my (with a one liter platy in there...)

Alu foil works, as would birch bark. Birch bark taken from a living tree... and hopefully not everybody starts to try this. Au foil... just as long as it gets back (and recycled) in stead of left out there.

Reduce, reuse and recycle.... Using alu foil doesn't really do it for me cos of the "reduce" (waiste) factor....

horses for courses though and yes I do like your thinking... have played around with the thought too....

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE