Fly,s at home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
With the warmer weather I,m already seeing fly,s in the house and was wondering if anyone had found
a good method of killing them which is also good enviouromentaly i.e. non poison insectacide , I,ve tried the tradational fly papers which are effective but don,t look good ,electronic which only seem effective in dark areas or in evening ,electronic swat bats - good if your quick with hand and eye ,
looking for something effective but also dont want to kill Bees,moths ,butterflies etc ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Living next to a cattle farm, I know what you are going through.

Hanging Fly repellents (appear to be nothing more than money down the drain), bead and net curtains (trap them indoors once they have gained access) and sprays (unbearable stench of chemicals and propellants) - we've tried the lot.

The electric zappers have to have the elements replaced regularly to remain effective - but for the once-a-fortnight "buzzaapppp!" they are little more than a drain of electricity, but we have one in the kitchen anyway.

I have yet to try bundles of hanging repellent herbs in doorways

I use fly-papers hanging in the warmer rooms (removing and burning them as they become unsightly) and resort to a swatter for the times they get too much - though this has to be followed up with a cycle of surface cleaners and wipes to maintain hygiene.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your predicament, but I wish you good luck.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Well, my cousin married a pigfarmer with 100 pigs and a million flies. She is a gardener by profession and picked up this tip from one of her old teachers.
She picked plenty Amanita muscaria or Fly agaric (do not know if you got this fungus in UK?), then sliced it up to sugarcube sized bits. Then then she spread the mushroom dices on a plate or bowl and poured milk over it, and spread some sugar over it. Then let it sit on the kitchen bench for some days.
The flies feasted on the sugar and milk, and then they died as.... flies.
Of course the fly problem did not go away completely, but her kitchen was close to a no-fly-zone.

P.S: Do not forget to wear some disposable rubber gloves when prosessing the fungus.

Last edited:

entropydog

May 14, 2010
derby
Some old bloke once told me that growing tobbacco plants keeps flys away. Im sure i can remember someone else telling me that josticks are good to....

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Fly traps are available in several different forms, which use pheromone attractants to trap the flies in a container containing water, in which the flies drown. Most of the ones made for domestic/garden use are opaque, and look like hanging decorations or lanterns. They are poison-free and quite effective, though they do require emptying and refilling regularly unless they are the disposable type, which are more expensive. This type of trap is also available for wasps. Other "sticky" traps are available which don't look as unsightly as fly papers. If you need any further info, feel free to PM me.

Alan

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Flies are natures dustbin men , why kill them ? Just have a spring clean :eek:.....on totha side of coin.......can't beat a teatowl if your slow with the chopsticks :sly: or you could try a small bunch of nettles hung by the window .....allegedly an old deterent .

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE