fly fishing travel rod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
anyone got any recommendations for a nice travel fly rod, preferably with a reel, for around 60 quid? i've seen a few fly fishing starter kits but they tend to be 2 piece rods so still quite long to be wandering around with. it'll be mainly used for poking around tarns and streams in the lakes with a bit of bigger lake fishing on the side

cheers
matt

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I have a Shakespeare Aerial Travel Fly, it's an okay rod that does a job. Don't forget the action of a six piece is more parabolic than a stiffer action of a two piece.

I'd buy a reel separate, fly reels hold the line, so a cheapo would do, I used a cheapo for donkeys years, the ratchet noise made me spend more dosh in this department. :)

Some companies tell yer the reel is worth X amount in a package. :nono:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
another quick question re: reels does left hand wind mean cast with the right wind with the left or vice versa?

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Loads of choice for travel fly rods, many of the top end rods now some in 4pce as standard...........how they have come!
Within your budget I have good experience with Greys and fulling mill but worth looking out for are Cabelas own branded ones on Ebay.
I would try and get the best rod you can with a fly-rod, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, less tiring and the rod would last longer. My choice would be Greys because of the warranty although I would guess you might need to spend a little more, or just go for it and get a missionary or an Orvis Frequent Flyer!!

Reels is kind of confusing as traditionally (and still today by some) anglers would cast with their right hand and also wind in with their right, crossing hands on the basis that they wanted their fastest handto recover the line. I never got that. It has also been said that the reel is just for storing line, I don't go for that either!
I cast with the right and wind with the left (this is L/H wind), I also use the reel when playing fish as its so easy and reliable with modern large arbour reels and they have the ability to be free running on the line recovery so any spare line can be panned back and you're direct contact in a breath.
If you need advise on a reel, I use the Greys GRX, superb and come with plenty of spools and extra ones are cheap as!

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
You can't go wrong with a Shakespeare odyssey. It's 4 piece and the tube is tough enough to bit worry about your rod no matter what! Small enough to strap to your rucksack. It's reasonably light and loads well. I tried a chaps grays grx and couldn't cast that much better than the odyssey, and it's only approx £25. Plenty if decent cheap line and real bargains too. The fish don't know what you paid or who made it. Word of warning though, I also have the 6"6' 5wt as well as the 9"6' 7wt although still a bargain rod, comes in two pieces is just in a rod bag.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Fly fishing is one discipline where the reel doesn't really matter, it's merely there to hold the line tidily.

Maybe in the older days. Most people I see fishing these days try to get a fish on the real. I personally prefer the feel of lining it when possible as you stay in better touch with the fish. Also the drags are very strong these days. I tried a cheap generic reel and the drag broke after a week. And let me tell you. It's very hard extra line out on a free spooling reel. You can end up with some right messes around your reel. As earlier said, you can't go wrong with a f
grays grxi cassette real. For around £40, look around and you can get line thrown in too. Which in my opinion is the most important bit of kit. The budget lines can be good, but there hit and miss ad they have more memory than my computer. A good line will come off the reel straight. And shoot out effortlessley.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Maybe in the older days. Most people I see fishing these days try to get a fish on the real. I personally prefer the feel of lining it when possible as you stay in better touch with the fish. Also the drags are very strong these days. I tried a cheap generic reel and the drag broke after a week. And let me tell you. It's very hard extra line out on a free spooling reel. You can end up with some right messes around your reel. As earlier said, you can't go wrong with a f
grays grxi cassette real. For around £40, look around and you can get line thrown in too. Which in my opinion is the most important bit of kit. The budget lines can be good, but there hit and miss ad they have more memory than my computer. A good line will come off the reel straight. And shoot out effortlessley.

Totally agree, the advent of large arbour reels that are able to pick up line without a check and that have a drag setting, give you so much control and keep loose line away from bankside shrubbery and clumsy boots when playing a fish. Not so important with 6oz hill tarn brownies or wading a stream but if decent sized fish are your quarry then loose line all over the place is not good.
£40 for a large arbour reel with cassette spools with Greys name on it, it would be the only one I would reccommend!

I flyfish for multi species including Pike, I am always happier getting the line back to the spool and playing fish from there. You are soon gonna need your other hand to net/chin out your fish and getting on a correctly set drag takes a great many bad eventualities out of the equation. Its a very dated attitude to state that the reel is just for storing line, reels and line have come a long way. Although lots of old fogies I know still have that opinion! (along with only fishing rivers for brown trout on the dry fly upstream resembles purity, and you should be sent straight to hell for the use of lures for Rainbows!)

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I'M with marcelxl, I also fish multiple species, trout and pike mostly for the pot. But also chub perch carp. And even roach in the fly. Like mentioned. The reel just holds your line rule was about when everyone was fishing for brownies. Before rainbows and better methods. And as for lures. I've got my own mile of stream and although never my first choice, I've had quite a few out on lures. In my humble opinion, you have to work out what is going to work on the day. Not what was written in the compleat angler hundreds of years ago. I've even had old timers pinching lures off me when there buzzers and nymphs arnt working!

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Just picked up a ron thomson power shoot (10') and reel with spare spool and travel case for £30 its a 3 section one and i reckon small enough to take out and about (also got a diawa lochmore 9'6" for £30). First fly rod was a ron thompson and i thought it was great, unfortunately it didn't win a fight with a car door!! If your budget is tight its always worth a look in the small adds.

Forgot to mention you'll need a fly line... i have been looking at the pitsford pirates one, they seem great value from the reviews i have read so i think i will be putting an order in.
Has anyone else tried these?

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I prefer the 5/6/7-piece rods - £15 on eBay - some of the 7' spinning rods cast a fly nicely, and disappear into your pack. Don't forget mill-end fly lines - pennies!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
do a neat little telescopic spinning rod too - highly portable.
Don't be put off by fly-fishing snobbery - it's RUBBISH! Many expert anglers began, and continue, with worms.
You can fly-fish with a spinning rod and bubble-float or controller - look out Wanless and his home-made controllers in your public library - he calls it THREAD LINE FISHING. BIC pen tubes make good controllers - they fill with water for casting, but are very inconspicuous while fishing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE