Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
ouch2.jpg

Not quite, I think this style of fly fishing was around long before that book was published.:)

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Inspirational as ever!
I need to get braiding if I want to stand a chance of catching anything this season!

Awsome!

cheers
Andy

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Speaking as a fly fisherman and fly tyer, they are damn ugly, but strangely attractive at the same time.:bluThinki Does that make me odd?

Well done that man.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
You would probably enjoy this book (if you can find a copy):

The Colonial Angler's Manual of Flyfishing & Flytying

by Ken Reinard isbn 1-56523-070-1 pub. in 1995, 106 pages.

The author did historical research to help him re-create the gear that would have been used by George Washington in the late 1700's to go fly fishing for trout. He then wrote this book on how to make your own gear as they would have done back then. So it covers making your own pole (in sections), braiding your line from horse hair, making your own hooks with or without barbs, and then tying your own flies. And in the back of the book, he shows color prints of flies documented to have been used back in the 1700's.

It's a very interesting book. And it has a large bibliography at boot!

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks Mike, I've just passed that on to my fly tying buddy, he got all excited at the thought of tying up some flies which haven't felt the warmth of the sun in a while...good find!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Thanks Mike, I've just passed that on to my fly tying buddy, he got all excited at the thought of tying up some flies which haven't felt the warmth of the sun in a while...good find!

The book will probably be hard to find. Try searching on evil-bay for a used one (also referred to as the Bay of Evil by some Canadians - something of a link to the Hudson Bay Company).

But also try some of the book search web sites like abebooks.com, alibris.com, and occasionally even Amazon.com And Bookfinder.com is supposed to search all the major book outlets - including the used/rare/out-of-print book sites.

The flys shown in the book are still pretty common today. They are Dame Juliana's List of Twelve Perfect Flies.

Dame Juliana Berners reportedly wrote a book in 1496 called A Treatyse of Fysshynge with an Angle. It was reprinted in 1979 as A Treatise on Fishing with a Hook - but translated into modern English. And Izaak Walton agreed with her 12 flies in his book The Compleat Angler originally published in 1880, but republished several times since.

Good luck on the search for the book.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE