Float fishing for flounder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Back off to Hampshire coast for Christmas - want to do some flounder fishing either in Poole bay or off Keyhaven. Given the tides and the remnants of a bloody awful cold unlikely to be in kayak and more likely from shore. Now last year I was getting really bad bait robbing by crabs. So what tactic would folks go for?
1) running ledger but with bait float to take ragworm off bottom or
2) float set up with bait adjusted to be clear of bottom

waiting for sharp frost not an option unfortunately

Interested in peoples thoughts
thanks

599577_4671116182090_490902803_n.jpg

2lb flounder caught on the fly - mid water from rocks over a gully in Norway in March...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The most common rigging here for taking flounder with bait is called (aptly) a flounder rig. It consists of a heavy ehough weight to remain on the bottom, this weight is rigged so that the line can slip through it but the hook is necer closer than a foot or so to it. The weight remains on the bottom while the bait is a few inches to a foot above it.

http://www.fishing-tips-bait-tackle.com/image-files/teardroprig.jpg

By far though, the preferred method is to gig flounder.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
the bait robbing crabs ease down during winter so a standard 2 hook flapper rig with beads on the snood with size 2 hooks will be fine. If the red army (crabs) are still about as they where in my area last week then using peeler crab as bait helps lasts a bit longer than worm on the hook.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
As above, I'd probably go for the flapper with peeler crab, bind it on good and perhaps tip it with a bit of sandeel or something.

The thing about flounder is they really love some sort of feature. Try for a gully or google earth the beach you aim to go to and see if you can see anything of interest. Keep the hooks about a size 2, no smaller.

If you need to get the rig out any distance then consider a clip down, peeler's don't fly far without some assistance.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks all, my normal flounder rig is variation on running ledger - usually single trace if using a bomb weight to get a bit of movement. Might try a Wessex rig for change. Last year the crabs were so bad I think they were beating any fish to the bait.

May 14, 2015
United Kingdom
I caught a very nice flounder at Mudeford Quay just the other night on a Dexter lure bounced along close to and sometimes hitting the bottom at the last of the flood at dusk.
She was foul hooked on the tail and fought incredibly well. I was using light tackle and wondered what on earth I had hooked. Large sea trout or even a salmon?
I was amazed when finally a flattie appeared at the surface. It was the biggest flounder I had ever seen.

So, I am going to mess about with flouder rigs and bait in the same location to see if I can have any more fun.

Gus

Back off to Hampshire coast for Christmas - want to do some flounder fishing either in Poole bay or off Keyhaven. Given the tides and the remnants of a bloody awful cold unlikely to be in kayak and more likely from shore. Now last year I was getting really bad bait robbing by crabs. So what tactic would folks go for?
1) running ledger but with bait float to take ragworm off bottom or
2) float set up with bait adjusted to be clear of bottom

waiting for sharp frost not an option unfortunately

Interested in peoples thoughts
thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE