flints for steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not sure where to post this but it seems I am sitting on a wealth of flint.

I know that many of you around the country are not so lucky.

so.....

I was wondering if any of you lot would like some? - not to mention the whole blacksmithing hobby so I could even do some steels too.

your thoughts are welcome.

Andy

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
when you do blacksmithing, do you use iron pyrite? if is how easy was it to use? and do you wait it it is malliable of liquifyed?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Not being a bushcrafter per se, merely someone who enjoys the outdoors, I have never tried to light a fire by means of a traditional flint and steel. I am not sure whether any old flint or any old steel would do in any case.

I did walk by a couple of nodules of flint today, thought to myself, I wonder if I could use them to get a spark out of anything, thought better of the idea and left them where they lay. I had no use for a fire on such a hot day anyway, and the only evidence of fires anywhere were those accompanied by discarded beer cans, so they could not have been lit by proper bushcrafters either :(

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have tested a whole load of different colours of flint (different composition but still flint) - and they all get a spark. - they just need a sufficient hardness to cut the metal. - the sparks are actually shards of metal ;)

you need a high carbon steel for the brightest and hottest sparks. - such as an old file or spring steel.

Andy

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
I ask the question that everyone does, how much for a piece of flint? And another one, do you send to Portugal?

How much? As well ask how much for a handful of earth. The stuff is just lying around in vast quantities in the right geological areas. Brighton Beach is nothing but flint for a start, as anyone who's walked on it will know. ;-)

The best stuff was mined, however. For example, at Grimes Graves in Norfolk. What Neolithic people were looking for there was large nodules for knapping. You whacked it round with a hammer stone to make a "core". You could then split off a flake with a well-judged tap in the right place, and you'd then go to work on that with softer hammers made from bone or antler (perhaps by "pressure flaking").

Flint occurs in the chalk in bands (although it can be carried by glacial action) -- picture:

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/seven_sisters_flint_band.jpg

So I'd consult a geological map of Portugal, looking for what was laid down in the Cretaceous period -- that was when the chalk was deposited on the sea bed -- and see if there's anywhere near you. In bright green here:

http://webcarta.net/carta/mapa.php?id=28974&lg=en

Around Lisbon for a start by the looks.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the tip mate.

I live a few kilometers north from Leiria and for what I saw in the map there is a bright green part south of Leiria. Think I will go for flint hunting this weekend!:D

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Other more crystalline Cherts can work just as well as flint for percussion fire lighting.

Have good results with Upper Greensand Chert from Dorset - very pale colour & quite coarse (not glassy at all). Great with steel or Iron Pyrites (very abundant in the 'jurassic coast' too).

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
sorry chaps my internet has been a bit naff the last couple of days.

all fixed now though.

I'll do a bundle for a fiver. - I think I will have to do it by weight rather than number of pieces.

100 grams generally equates to about 4 good sized blades which will last you a good long while. - obviously I can do more if you want?

dscn2046f.jpg

that is a picture of 100grams. - if you chaps feel this isn't enough for a fiver let me know how much you feel is. - the smallest piece in this picture is 1" round.

I would be happy to swap a certain weight for bushcrafty items. - pm me to play swapsies :D

I sell the steels for a tenner.

cheers

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
judging by the lack of response - I'm guessing interest has dried up or you lot are happy with the weight of flint?

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE