Flint & Steel pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I tanned a load of rabbit skins last year for some reenactment guy's and some black powder shooters in my gun club and i found a skin today that i had overlooked so i made a little pouch for my flint and steel kit.

423_2366_1.jpg
423_2367_1.jpg

423_2372_1.jpg
423_2374_1.jpg

423_2377_1.jpg
423_2379_1.jpg

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Stitched them with some linen thread that i use for stitching sheath's.
Didn't take very long (bout an hour ,maybe an hour and a half i suppose) but i already had the skin tanned and i had softened it up before this.
Got me thinking about other kit i could make with skins so i might have to dig the lamping kit out again.

rb

(it didn't take long but it took long enough for me to forget about the monster batch of charred cloth in the stove and i over cooked it :( )

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Andy said:
I really like the shape of that. I might try it with and old pair of jeans when I go back to sheffield. What dimentions is it?

bout 6" x 4"
I have been meaning to make one for ages but i didn't have any leather fine enough so when i found this today i thought i'd give it a try.
Im not sure how it's going to last as the cat's already made off with it twice tonight :rolleyes:

rb

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Sweet pouch. I did something similar using a Muskrat skin. Ended up giving it away with a traditional Cherokee tobacco tie inside. I love to work with the skins, but don't really have the talent to do a good job like you've exhibited here. Good one.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I have two finished rabbit skins that seem pretty flexable but I didn't do the work on them, someone else did.

Is there anything I should treat the skin with? Neats foot oil, Mink Oil?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE