Flint Knapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Been around here for long enough (6 years, mostly just reading) and always resisted the temptation to show off, but being as others are doing it, I resist no longer.

Here's some knapping I did over Christmas and the New Year.

Some Brazilian Agate

agateo.jpg

All made from small fragments of flint found on the Thames beach after watching Primitivepathways excellent "Flint Knapping the Impossible" series on you tube, where you knap lengthways rather widthways. A super vid to learn from if you have trouble getting good flint. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNw3UWRTNg&feature=related

difficult.jpg

I collected some pebbles from the Thames to try an make an Oldawan pebbel tool, had a few spare so decided to see if they could be made into arrowheads. Most difficult Knapping I ever did, never again.

pebble.jpg

Three are from decent NorfolK flint nodules so much easier to knap than the above stuff, the translutent brown stuff from the Thames. Strangest flint I've ever picked up, almost glasslike to knap. See the fossils inside, not often you get to see inside flint.

pointsy.jpg

Some knife blades (will most likely never see a handle, I've got dozens from years back, never seem to make the handles), the middle one is obsidian the other two dacite slabs. This is the easiest kind of knapping.

knifet.jpg

Some larger stuff, mostly mahogany obsidian.

largetb.jpg

Anyway, that's the last two months.

Last edited:

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
Been around here for long enough (6 years, mostly just reading) and always resisted the temptation to show off, but being as others are doing it, I resist no longer
;D

Maybe one day when I'm a bit better.

Also you need a decent garden and supply of flint.

first really nice work, and i know what you mean with the quote above, there are so many beautiful flint-works and some knappers make it look so easy that I'm always humbled when i see that

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
This is old stuff, but if you like eye candy. Not as difficult to make as the above, but more visually impressive. Paleo people's made decorative stuff as well as functional.

Rose Quartz

rosequartz2.jpg

Fibre Optic Glass

fibreopticglass.jpg

Chert

chert.jpg

Opal

opal.jpg

Rainbow Obsidian

rainbowknife.jpg

dacireknife.jpg

maquahuitl2.jpg

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Thanks for the complements, I've been knapping for 7 years now.

This is the style you see in most commercially for sale products made in, it creates highly beautiful pieces very quickly and relatively easily. It uses a technique known as FOG (Flake Over Grind). You grind the knife into its finished shape on a grinding wheel and then do a single layer of pressure flaking over the top. I've often heard some non-knappers presume it to be cheating, but it's an authentic technique used by several copper/bronze age peoples. I've not tried it, but one day would love to.

Last edited:

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
did you make those knives with slabs?
if yes where do you get slabs?

what r you using as hammer?

stone, antler or copper?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE