Flint and Steel Pouch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

A couple of members on BCUSA collaborated awhile back on making a Flint Pouch and the maker was kind enough to answer some questions as to how he made it after I expressed an interest in making a version of it too.
DSC04340Small.jpg

I made this pouch from veg-tanned leather with an added welt the same thickness as the steel.

DSC04338Small.jpg

The steel itself is an old bit of file that was softened then drilled for copper harness rivets, the original had the steel drilled so that it could be sewn in place but I took the easy route and used copper harness rivets as it only required the drilling of three holes with my little drill press. A blow torch was used to soften the file and also to re-harden it and luckily it throws a pretty good shower of sparks.

DSC04337Small.jpg

The finish is dark brown oil dye and Golden Mink Oil dressing , I’m really liking this combination as it does not stiffen the leather too much .

DSC04343Small.jpg

DSC04341Small.jpg

The pouch not only provides a storage space for flint pieces but a great grip of the steel as well .

I borrowed a tripod from work and took a little trip up the woods to try the steel out, here’s a not very clear vid .
[video=youtube_share;z1syI5HOGD8]http://youtu.be/z1syI5HOGD8[/video]
I used jute twine then Birch bark and added twigs on top . The flames took off pretty well , the nice dry Elder helped.

Also took some pics when out.

DSC04351Small.jpg

This is a little duck pond , has a few hide a round the edge but no fish.

DSC04378Small.jpg

Whilst in the woods I found these large bracket fungi on a big dead Elm, not sure what they are yet will look them up.

DSC04374Small.jpg

There are Foxgloves are all over the place, looks like there will be a good show later .

DSC04364Small.jpg

Eddie , my terrier , was his usual self . He just missed getting a rabbit but it made it to the burrow ….

DSC04366Small.jpg

….unlike this one, who looks to have been grabbed by one of the many Buzzards going about. I recently stocked up on some .410 cartridges so will be heading back this way to get some bunnies.

Cheers,
Pete.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think the word is obsession - must be the closet steampunk in me

trying to track down a Martac copper torch as we speak....

pwb

I think the word is obsession - must be the closet steampunk in me

trying to track down a Martac copper torch as we speak....

Lol :), yep I saw you where after one of those . I'd seen the plain ones before but didn't know about the copper ones. They look :cool:.

Good luck in your search , I'll keep an eye out for you too.

Pete.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks I have spies everywhere LOL

they only made 500 or so and I dont ever see the SS ones getting sold on let alone the copper ones

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE