Flint and Steel fire lighting kits (Dragon's Breath) for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Dragons' Breath" (as you all have started calling them) Kits
Basic Flint and Steel Fire Starter Kits

DragonsBreath.jpg

These are proving very popular!

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand (if you are left handed) with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
Hold the steel in a pinch grip with one of the long thin edges pointing out.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
The sparks should land on the char cloth and start glowing.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
I am confident with a little practice you will get the hang of the technique.
All kits are tested before despatch so I am confident in them working.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)
Colours sizes and shapes vary - this photo is of a typical set!
NEW STOCK JUST MADE!
9 sets available
PM me for more info and to order.

Last edited:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
John,

having seen and used one of your sets at the last Scottish meets I can fully recommend them, so much so that I'll take one off you. It will replace my own snapped off file which is just a bit too narrow and I keep loosing knuckle skin.
PM sent

Cheers

JFW

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

These are proving very popular! And going fast!
Those who have reserved sets need to get back to me ASAP!
Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand (if you are left handed) with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £7 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)

8 sets available - but not for much longer at this rate!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
YOU GOT THEM !
SOLD OUT - AWAITING NEW STOCK OF STEEL AND A NEW SEWING MACHINE (TO MAKE THE POUCHES - MINE DIED ON COMPLETEING THE LAST LOT)
kEEP LOOKING THOUGH AS I AWAIT MORE STEEL DAILY

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £7 inc P&P.

5 sets available - but not for much longer at this rate!
PM me for more info and to order.[/QUOTE]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will be away now until Sept - see me then for your kits!

DragonsBreath.jpg

15 sets available - but not for much longer at this rate!
PM me for more info and to order.]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I AM BACK AND AWAITING YOUR ORDERS!

DragonsBreath.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

PM me for more info and to order

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

6 sets available - but not for much longer at this rate! I will have to source more steel soon!
PM me for more info and to order

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE