Flinders Ranges and St Marys / Wilpena Pound

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
We moved to the UK from Australia last year. Just before we left we took a last trip up through the Flinders Ranges to bid farewell to the dry centre. We 'wild camped' the first night and slept out under the stars in the canvas swag, then drove up to the camping ground at Wilpena Pound and climbed St Mary's Peak (1168 m above sea level).

It was a beautiful trip, roasting temperatures, plenty of roos, emus and of course, flies!

Now that we are settled into the Somerset countryside I thought it would be cool to share some pictures with the community here:

Cliffside camp.jpg

The wild campsite was against a sun-soaked cliff, about a km walk into the scrub.

fire pit.jpg

Preparing a fire pit. Everything was tinder dry, so fire safety was paramount. We cleared a good space down to the sand and made a ring of stones.

cliffs.jpg

Sunset reflected off the rocks.

evening draws in.jpg

Bed is made and the sun has gone - finally the flies head off, and its too dry out here for mosquitos at this time of year!

brews on.jpg

Boiling the billy.

stoking.jpg

Once the sun is gone, it gets really cold very quickly. The temperature range is incredible - I reckon it was in the mid 30s during the day, and easily hovering around 3-5 degrees that night (centigrade).

fire glow.jpg

Full moon and the fire glowing off the cliffs - so spectacular!

red hills.jpg

The red hills, on the way to wilpena pound

wilpena pound.jpg

The pound itself - its a big natural circular valley, I think it is an ancient meteor strike site [Edit: actually its not! See fluffkitten's explanation below].

St Marys.jpg

Half way up the hillside, and St Mary's peak comes into view. It was still another hours climb around the side of the mountain to get up there, but the view was worth it!

St Mary's peak view.jpg

The view

emus.jpg

The local birds out for a walk!

Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
HI Tuscor , Great pictures, looks like a great trip, Ive always had a fascination with the Early Aussie Explorers.
Hope to visit a friend who lives just outside Brisbane one day and do some Travelling with him.

Thanks for sharing

Lucan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great pictures. An age ago I went horse riding in the Flinders and after several hours I realised me and horses just dont work, infact its lucky we managed to have children later in life :eek:

Great part of the world.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
That's really great, and brings back a bunch of wonderful memories. The whole of the Flinders Ranges is worth exploring if you can. Wilpena is actually a syncline in sedimentary rock rather than anything more dramatic like a crater, just as interesting IMO.

I moved in the other direction to you and am now getting used to it being a lot more difficult to find wild places

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Thanks guys!

HI Tuscor , Great pictures, looks like a great trip, Ive always had a fascination with the Early Aussie Explorers.
Hope to visit a friend who lives just outside Brisbane one day and do some Travelling with him.

I love the early Aussie explorers too! The flinders ranges were first seen (and presumably named) by Matthew Flinders, a British naval officer and explorer. I went to Flinders University in Adelaide also named after him.

I think that Wilpena Pound was discovered by a stockman/pastoralist named William Chase. It wasn't a formal scientific expedition but just the natural expansion of farming into the region.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Absolutely beautiful, but oh so alien to me :)
My older brother and his family live in Brisbane, and they've just been here on holiday. My SIL has conniption fits at how careless we are with water, and I struggle in our summer heat, I think their's would kill me :eek:

Do the rocks not reflect back the daytime heat ? and why does it get so cold at night ? even here nighttime temperatures are still in the teens when the daytime has been in the 20's ?

Thank you for the photos :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Hi Toddy - its a world away from the lush greenery of England hey! That being said, Brisbane is subtropical, so almost as different again.

I'm not sure exactly how the temperature change works, but my understanding is that because it is so clear (no clouds) and absolutely no moisture in the air, the heat just dissipates back into the atmosphere very quickly, starting as soon as the sun goes down. Compare that to here, where the cloud cover and higher humidity acts as a kind of insulation... Thats my theory anyway!

The rocks do stay warmer for a little while in the evening, but its not long before they are cold too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE