Flemish Twist Dacron Bowstring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having done a brief search and not having found anything better on making bow strings than the page below:
http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

I thought that I would post some pictures of how I do it. It is pretty simple, but I have been asked about it quite often so please excuse if this seems overly basic.

Strings can be made of a wide range of materials, spectra (Fastflight), dacron (B50), linen, hemp, nettle, silk, gut, sinew, raw hide to name the most common. For use with wood bows Fastflight should be avoided, it is so strong that when using the normal number of strands, 12-14, it has esentially zero stretch and can damage bow limbs. For ease of use pre-waxed B50 Dacron is the best, a 1/4lb spool cost less than £10 and will make strings for at least 6 bows (I keep losing stings and not remembering how many I have :?: :roll: )

Next easiest is 3 strand linen thread similar to that used by cobblers and saddle makers. If you buy thread, carry out a break test to ensure that it is strong enough. The 3-strand linen I tested broke at 15lb so 14 strands makes a 210lb string, suitable for bows around 50lb draw.

Fibres need to be spun into threads, then twisted into cords to get the most strength, so making a (safe) nettle bow string will be a lot of work!

Using 12-14 strands of dacron will be suitable for bows up to about 55lb. If you have something stronger you probably know all you need already :wink: :lol:

Wind out two equal bunches of dacron equal to about 1 1/3 times the length of your bow.

The first thing to do is form the loop. Start the twist about 10 inches from the end.

Bowstring1.JPG

Bowstring2.JPG

Bowstring3.JPG

Bowstring9.JPG

Bowstring4.JPG

Bowstring5.JPG

Bowstring6.JPG

And keep going till you have

Bowstring11.JPG

Fold this in half and put the short tails with the long.

Bowstring12.JPG

Start twisting

Bowstring13.JPG

By cutting the short ends in a staggered manner you can taper down to the main string diameter.

Bowstring14.JPG

The main string can be twisted a bit looser until you get down to the other end when you need to start twisting more tightly again.

Bowstring15.JPG

This end too can be tapered. If you have any bee's wax you can taper down to nothing by heavily waxing the string.

Bowstring16.JPG

Failing that you can tie a simple overhand knot to stop anything from unraveling.

It is usual to serve the area that the arrow is nocked to with a nylon or linen thread. The 3-strand linen mentioned at the start will also work for serving. Serving protects the main string from wear and can be replaced if it gets tatty.

Before starting to serve you NEED to stretch the string. This is particularly true for twisted strings. The easiest way is to put it on the bow, stretching by hand isn't enough. This stretching will reduce the diameter of the string quite noticeably.

You can start the serving with a constrictor knot, or a timber hitch, but I just lay the short end down and whip over the top. You probably want between 1.5 and 2 yards of serving thread. You can buy spool holders, but you don't really need them.

Serving1.JPG

Carry on whipping, you probably will want at least 5" of serving, 2 inches above and 3 below where the arrow is expected to be nocked. When you get near the end of the serving you can finish like this.

Serving2.JPG

Serving3.JPG

Serving4.JPG

If you have stuck with me this far, you have astounding stamina!!! :You_Rock_ I hope that it has been useful :roll: :lol:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Excellently useful - you can't imagine. :biggthump

I really wanted to know how to do that.

Flemish style strings work best on my bow and I recently had to buy some new ones after finding the original string was too weak and three of the strands had snapped.

I had a couple of problems with new strings not being made accurately to length, so it will be handy to know how to make my own in future.

BTW - any comments on how practical it is to undo a string made an inch too short and redo it to the correct length. If it can be done I'll be ale to recycle two brand new but wrongly sized strings :eek:):

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Another splendid post Chris!!!! Very interesting and informative! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE