Fixed pruning saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'm thinking of buying a fixed blade pruning saw, looking at a 12" blade something between a laplander and a small bow saw.
What are your thoughts?
Has anyone got one that they can recommend?
Silky have a good reputation but they ain't cheap, I've seen some for around £20 which look fine. Is it worth the extra money on the silky?
I mainly cut dead wood , the occasional piece of green hazel and willow.
Cheers, Rob.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Pretty sure the professional tree bothers will chime in Rob but Silkies are another class. But eye wateringly expensive.
Bows saws are cheap but a pain to carry. I have tried the smaller folding type which just don't have the throat. Wooden bow-saws are bulky and heavy in pack and hand. Standard metal frame bow saws are bulky and a pain to carry.

I regularly pinch my mates fixed silky which is effortless to use and scary sharp (scars to prove it). It is perfect for the bigger green stuff i cut for bow staves.

Only other downside to the silkies is they are less than robust if in less experienced hands. If they are bullied in use they will break so careful if you lend it out.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Sounds like a Silky folder (by virtue of the teeth configuration for seasoned wood, although their fixed blades do work okay), which, as Dwardo says, are very sensitive if you apply pressure on the push stroke.

Easily worth the money imo, especially if used a lot :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The other place a bow saw fails is in he middle of a stand. Where as a fixed handle can slip in between daughter trunks and only take the shoot you are after.

(trying to talk my self into buying one also)

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I be been looking at the Silky Bigboy 2000 it's had some good reviews but is expensive
Andrew

If that's the orange handled version with a slight curvature, I picked one up recently to take the pressure off my Katanaboy, as the Bigboy blades are a lot cheaper. I haven't used it much, but I compared the two at the Bigboy's limit, circa 11-12inches of semi-seasoned Chestnut, and it was good :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've used the S&J fixed blade pruning saw from their razor sharp range and have to say I was well impressed with it. It lived up to its name was extremely sharp, cut very well and was a nice length blade to use.

The only criticism I could have for it locking mechanism to retain the blade in the handle being very poor and prone to come apart easily.

Only example I can find is this one

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Most arb companies use the Silky Zubat 330. I've never seen anything else used apart from the Ibuko, which is too big in my opinion. It's a truly excellent saw, the blades last for ages and effortlessly out cut any other manufacturers efforts.

I've never snapped a 330 blade, but a mate of mine snapped the BigBoy blade while cutting a big pine log. The BigBoy blades are quite long and a bit 'flappy', so technique on the (non cutting) push stroke is essential. Downforce on the pull, release for the push. It comes quite easy after a bit of cutting.

Your fixed blade requirement is sensible, it's very handy to be able to sheath the blade. While cutting branches that might need support, or wood cutting for camping. This is an area where folders fail.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nice65 has hit the nail on the head, I also use one for work on a regular basis, & you do need to sheath them when not using it, they cut on the pull stroke, which is probably why those who aren't used to that break them.

Silky for me, but I won't let my labourer use it !, he gets a cheaper one.

Rob

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I found a Fiskars 9370 on offer in a local garden centre for £5.99 so bought one. It has surprised me with how well it works, last summer I had to drop a pine that was growing to close to my house, I de-limbed it using the fiskars with no bother, many of the limbs were 5 or 6 inches through. Only downside is it comes without any sort of blade protector.
I imagine a silky would be better, but at the price I paid I can live with it.

Dave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep. Long draw stroke, almost lift it for the push. Watch out for sticky resinous woods.

I have to say Rob, from your original question, you've veered a fair way off the road mate. :lmao:

I'm just a bit jealous.

[video=youtube_share;Yag1wLgRV-8]http://youtu.be/Yag1wLgRV-8[/video]

Last edited:

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
If you have ever bought a plastic bag called bivi, or a pot made of Titanium, or a sack by Tasmanian Tiger, or a mythical Woodlore knife made by a bloke called Wood, then enjoy. I regularly find stuff that is a pleasure to have and the cost isn't so important. When I watch the sky I don't pay monthy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE