Fiskars small axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Fiskars makes fine tools, given you like the look and feel of the plastic. I have used the smallest one (x5) a lot and it is a very decent tool. While I myself prefer more traditional looking axes I do not think you'd go wrong with a fiskars at all.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
The only thing that bothers me is weight?! Not sure how much difference is between them if any at all. A plastic handle doesn't really bother me. Can't find and weight stats for either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
What model are you interested in? The X7 is comparable to the GB wildlife hatchet with a headweight of 470 grams and an overall weight of 640 grams. The x15 is comparable to the SFA with a headweight of 1050 grams and an overall weight of 1520 grams. The x10 is betweem them being 760 grams in the head and 980 overall.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have the X5. It was bought for me, and I was unsure about it because it wasn't traditional, but now it is my standard pack axe. I love it. Packs small, punches above its weight, sharp enough that I can featherstick with it, and great for splitting small bits of wood for using in my Bushbuddy stove. I use it way more than I use a knife.

I can't recommend it enough.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Here ya go, hope this helps.

X7 ; Length: 355mm. Weight: 640g.

X5 Length: 230mm. Weight: 480g.

I've had an X5, it was a cracking little axe.

(oooops .. . . . to slow . . . lol . . . must type faster and without interruptions)

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I have a splitter from Fiskars and it's the first splitting axe that hasn't been wrecked by someone that borrowed it.

I can find little fault in the tools unless you prefer something more traditional.

Just bought the x25 over the weekend, a real Ferrari of a tool, I still prefer my x10 over my hultafors too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The only negative I have about the Fiskars is that it has been a bit slippy when wet due to the plastic handle, and I've had it fly out of my hand once in use in heavy rain, but that was also because I was rushing, so was mostly my fault. A bit of grip tape soon solves that anyway.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I have a Fiskars x27 sllitting axe. Its an outstanding piece of kit, well designed and extremely robust.

I have a Fiskars retractable saw too, a bold claim but I think its better (albeit slightly) than my Bahco laplander. Cheaper too.

As for the small axe, I have no experience but I bet its a winner going by the quality of their other stuff.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
The only negative I have about the Fiskars is that it has been a bit slippy when wet due to the plastic handle, and I've had it fly out of my hand once in use in heavy rain, but that was also because I was rushing, so was mostly my fault. A bit of grip tape soon solves that anyway.

Wouldn't the wooden handle be just as bad if it was varnished? Is the gb varnished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
We will want to know what you think of it when you get it. And probably where you got it, and for how much. Pictures too.

We don't want much, just everything :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE