Fishing Sweden's lakes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Pondering a canoe trip to Sweden's inland waterways and lakes. While there I would like to try my hand at fishing for my lunch, I really fancy trying for some arctic char...

I'm guessing I'll have to get a rod license/permit. Can any of our Swedish members help tell me what techniques are legal/illegal in Sweden?

Thanks

Julia

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
In general, you can do pretty much however you want - barring harpoon and a pitch-fork-like, multi tipped, fish spear of sorts (Sw. "Ljuster").

In some waters you need a fishing license. For those waters there can be some stricter regulations (like "Fly-fishing only" and the like)...so where are you planning to go? I can have a quick look..

Cheeers,
Greger

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
For inspiration try William B. Currie's classic books eg Game Fishing - he flew to Kilpisjarvi and had INCREDIBLE char & grayling, with guides & quadrupeds.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In general, you can do pretty much however you want - barring harpoon and a pitch-fork-like, multi tipped, fish spear of sorts (Sw. "Ljuster").

Excellent, does that include unattended lines, the sort you might leave over night, for example?

In some waters you need a fishing license. For those waters there can be some stricter regulations (like "Fly-fishing only" and the like)...so where are you planning to go? I can have a quick look..

The honest answer is I don't know. I'm basically thinking of taking a trip out in October 2016 or 2017 (depends when I have the money). Rough plan in my head is to paddle about, camp on an island or two, and enjoy the autumn colours. Taking the opportunity for a spot of fishing and photography...

J

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Excellent, does that include unattended lines, the sort you might leave over night, for example?

Normally, you can do that. Licensed waters might differ. I guess the place where you rent (?) the canoe can provide more precise info.

Have a nice trip!!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you want to get Arctic Char you need to get to the northern half of Sweden, Norrland. For canoeing you have many options. I did a downriver trip on the Dala Alven many years ago. Good fishing, lots of wildlife and as you paddle down stream, it is not so hard work!

Before you go, please make yourself familiar with the Right to Roam ( Allemansratten).

Mar 4, 2016
Gotland, Sweden
Just a little heads up on fishing in Sweden. Except the coastline and the five biggest lakes, all waters are considered private and you'll need owners permission to fish there. However, in most parts of the country you can pay a small fee for a fishing license (varies in cost and size of waters fishable) but bottom line is you have to get permission.
When you know where you want to go just drop a line to the guys at Sportfiskarna (Swedens national sport fishing organization) at info@sportfiskarna.se and ask what's ok or not. The webpage isn't much help since it's all in swedish but I'm quite sure they'd be happy to write you an answer in english :)
There are tons of webpages which offers guides, tours etc. but usuallt their services cost a fortune.

Usually fishing is restricted to hand held equipment ie. no traps, cages or similar. Spearfishing in all forms are forbidden as is bowfishing.

If you have further thoughts feel free to send me a PM too.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE