Fishing on the river :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Fantastic looks a cracking river.... Enjoy.

It's just my local, 15 minute walk from home. It has some lovely spots, but just 50 metres downstream is a water treatment facility! The river could do with a lot of rain, there is so much algae everywhere. I cast the rod out and after 15 minutes I retrieved it and I had a ball of algae the size of a tennis ball on it. It's a river that has had an environmental hammering over the years but it's in recovery. I'm hoping that leaving the EU will only help the problem, but I'm not holding my breath....

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I had a lovely session on the river last night. A friend had joined me, his first time fishing in freshwater (he's done loads of sea fishing, our usual pursuit) but with lock down on and trying to limit travel we decided on going freshwater. At this point I'd like to point out we observed all the recommended social distancing rules, staying 15m apart whilst fishing, see here for more guidance:

angling trust coronavirus

I haven't fished on this water for about 5 years, and it was just as lovely as I remember it. It gets fished very little, but lends itself well to being fished with a lure, as it is quite shallow and fast. There was a lot of weed about, the lures had to be cleaned off almost every cast, every rock and stone was covered in it. Not good! There were a few mayfly and olives hatching too. We started getting follows and dropped takes as the light dropped, and eventually he hooked his first brown trout, a belter at 2.5/3lb. You should have seen his face lit up! Not more than five minutes later I managed to tempt a nice 2lber that had been steadily rising about 20 times in front of me, about a yard from the far bank. I had maybe 30 casts at it, only 2 of which covered it properly, the latter cast tempted him and he chased it halfway across the river and snaffled it.

WP_20200519_001.jpg
WP_20200519_003.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Had another short session last night, much harder tonight plenty of follows and bites but couldn't make them stick. They seemed very cagey trout! Plenty of kingfishers running up and down the river, geese, ducks, goosanders and herons, but the spectacle was seeing a big otter moving 10 yards away, it looked huge, it's the first time I've seen one locally, amazing creatures.

Reactions: Broch and Coldfeet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE