fishing net needles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi Everyone,
can someone please do a simple straight forward step by step, nice pictorial displays on How To Carve A Fishing Needle, for the very green horns amongst us, me included.
thank you.
cheers the interceptor boy.

I know that Mr Mesquite is fed up doing the fishing needle at the moot, so please leave him out. Any help would be appreciated.

DIM TIM

Apr 10, 2011
Dayton, Ohio USA
I started a thread the other day for this video I made, but have'nt seen it it yet. Think the mods have just not seen it yet and allowed it, or it may have not posted thru. Thought I'd add it here since you asked about making one. This is about as simple as it gets.

Poor Man's Netting Needle - YouTube

I was trying to figure out how to make one as simple as possible, and this is the final result. Most everyone here in the USA can get one of these at the local paint stores. You get one or two free ones when you buy a gallon of paint. I used a pocket knife to do the whole thing. I simply drew the pattern freehand, used the tip of the blade to drill three holes in the U-shaped cutout. One in the middle where it makes the bottom of the U shape, and one at each of the ends. The rest was scored along the lines that encompass the shape, and connects the holes. It was scored repetedly untill the blade cut through the other side, and then finished to smooth out any slivers of wood. The reason for the holes in the first place, was to keep the wood from splitting at these stress points in the waste removal.

To tell the truth, the reason the wood split in the one shown in the video, was because of deflection stress of the wood along the grain as I was smoothing the inside edges to keep the wood edges there from cutting the cordage that would be loaded into the needle. I was finished as far as it goes, and a slight bending on the last pass causedd the thin wood to split from the tip to the waste hole.

Last edited:

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Easy to bend from a length of coat hanger

tat-needle-buff.gif

For other ideas go to the "Tools of the Trade" section of the "Nets and Net Making" forum

http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

DIM TIM

Apr 10, 2011
Dayton, Ohio USA
Finally found my original post. Going to try my hand at a couple of others this next coming weeks. Hope that they turn out better, or at least as good as the first one. I'll sure take my time a bit more with the next couple, and work some more on a trap that I'm making, using the needle to guide the cordage through the connecting pieces.
When it's done, I plan on giving it a few coats of varnish to help waterproof it as much as possible to make it last as long as possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE