fishing and sewing kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have posted this before but as yet have not found a resolution to my problem!

Is there an elegant way to carry and store your emergency sewing and fishing kits

Ideas on a postcard to...............

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
How about a version of the shotgun cartridge case matchbox without the abrasive part on the end cap?
Or the telescopic plastic cases drills, taps and cutters are supplied to engineering firms in?
Or small tins that you get mints in, smaller than the Altoids type.
What sort of size do you have in mind?

Dave

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
was looking for something a little more traditional

This is quite traditional :)

sami_sewing_kit.png

This is a sami sewing kit I picked up in Sweden, it's carved from hollowed out antler, some needles and thread are attached to a small piece of leather which is pulled up into the hollow cavity where they are kept safe and dry.

I cannot admit to using it though it was a birthday gift for my girlfriend.

I use a small cylindrical container of the type sold in camping shops for pills etc. It contains a metal thimble, a small metal reel of very strong thread, three needles, some wire and some alternative threads in different colors, safety pins and a small blade.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I have made a fishing kit in a film case and frankly there's about 1/3 of the case un-used! There's a selection of weights, a dozen hooks, half a wine bottle cork chopped up into bits, and 30m of dental floss (20lb breaking strain to you and me). What should I do with the rest of the space? I like the idea of using it as a sewing kit.

Chris

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I made myself a small belt pouch for my sewing kit, not got a fishing kit sorted yet, like yourself still looking for ideas.

sewingkit1.jpg

sewingkit2.jpg

Really like the Sami sewing kits though, been on my wish list for a while now.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
UluRepair5504972.jpg

I have a small otter skin pouch with an assortment of sewing items. A sewing ulu, sinew, artifical sinew, nylon threads, beeswax, awl, needles, sealskin thimble, some lace, scraps of leather, and a few buttons and toggles all jumbled together.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
firepouch3217zg4.jpg

firepouchopen3215om1.jpg

I made essentially the same sized pouch out of deerskin for a fire kit. I used my otter bag as the pattern. This was super easy to sew up....two flat pieces of leather sewed up on the inside with artificial sinew and then added the toggle and a lace threaded through holes as a tie. A smallish bag like this with the various fishing or sewing items should work nicely.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I made a tinder pouch out of waxed cotton....again easy sewing and an appropiate size could be done for a sewing or fishing kit. The waxed cotton might make a real nice fishing kit at the cloth itself is water resistant.

tinderpouchmaking2613rd6.jpg

tinderpouchstuffed2623oa6.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a small otter skin pouch with an assortment of sewing items. A sewing ulu, sinew, artifical sinew, nylon threads, beeswax, awl, needles, sealskin thimble, some lace, scraps of leather, and a few buttons and toggles all jumbled together.

Really nice :)

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Just come across this thread. If you are looking for something more traditional, How about trying to make Thomas J. Elpels birch branch container. An elegant solution and I think just about the right time of year to try it as the sap is beginning to flow.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ig=D9q4MuswKrOg_WlBvglO2t7GCk4&hl=en#PPA66,M1

(Hope this link works)
If the link doesn't work then just type 'birch bark container branch' into google and it should be the first result.

Good Luck

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"Just come across this thread. If you are looking for something more traditional, How about trying to make Thomas J. Elpels birch branch container..."

They look really good, thanks for the link, I know someone who made a container for their crook knife in much the same way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE