Fish of coarse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
One of my most endearing memories of childhood was catching perch in a Norwegian lake from a small boat, then getting our mum to cook them. Fried in butter there were delicious.

Living in France I am fortunate in having not only many ways to catch fish but also many recipes for many fish/ crustacea because as you know our French friends eat pretty much any part of anything that moves :wink:.

PERCH:

I found a nice simple recipe for how to prepare Perch from a web site for tourism in the Charente Maritime region ( translated in English as well). Also a useful hint for keeping fish fresh after capture:

Preparing perch filets: Those who enjoy simple food and plain fish will enjoy perch prepared in this way.

Take a good sized perch, allowing about 250 g per person. Clean and filet the fish, retaining the skin and scales (which are very difficult to remove). Put a little oil in a frying pan and add the perch filets, skin side down. Cook on a low heat until the flesh turns white. If necessary, cook for a few seconds on the other side to finish off. Serve hot, with salt and a dash of lemon.

You will be able to savour the full flavour of your fish.

Hint: To keep your catch fresh in summer, roll the fish in a cloth dampened with river water. They will not go stiff and the flesh will not go off

In place of lemon you could use Sorrel ( be aware of possible problems with long term use though)

CRAYFISH:

A GREAT and underrated wild food source IMO.

I brought a Crayfish trap last year and am about to go out and use it and will post results. Also I intend to trial various techniques for catching them more suitable for Bushcrafting (i.e. light and foldable traps etc.). They taste superb, are easy to cook and you also help to reduce numbers of the invasive American Signal Crayfish which is wiping out the native Crayfish both in the UK and France ( and other countries in Europe).

But be aware that it is illegal at present in the UK to trap Crayfish without a licencxe from the Environment Agency! Mostly a reaction to this serious problem and the need to ensure they are not transported alive to other waters which do not have them yet. Serious fines if caught. Here in France sense reigns and as long as you stick to the 2-3 invading species you can catch all year round what you want. BUT you have to kill them as you catch them and serious fines for moving them even to home to cook. But for out in the wild a great natural resource.

You can check out current byelaws on crayfish fishing at the EA:

EA Crayfish byelaw info

A basic guide on preparing Crayfish to eat ( there are many great recipes in France and Scandinavia especially Sweden where they are a delicacy!):

The freshwater crayfish not only looks like a miniature lobster, but tastes almost as good as its saltwater relative. The first step to preparing crayfish for the table is to wash the live crayfish in cool, clean water. After washing, the crayfish are blanched (par boiled) in hot water for about five minutes. This process kills and cooks the crayfish, kills any bacteria present, turns the crayfish a brilliant red color, and facilitates peeling the meat from the claws and tail. Next, remove the intestinal track by twisting and pulling the middle flipper of the tail. Some prefer to cook only the claws and tails. After simmering, remove the meat from the claws and tail, add butter, salt, and pepper, and enjoy; crayfish meat may be served hot or cold.

I bet you are salivating now :biggthump

If people are interested I will post a thread on Crayfish trapping both in the UK and France.

If you doubted using frshwater fish as a source of food then check out this great story of how they formed the staple diet of in Fermanagh during the early C20th:

FONTY:
THE STORY OF A LOUGH ERNE FISHERMAN

A small quote:

Bream, especially in warm weather, gathered in shoals and were easy to net and big fish of 5 or 6 pound weight were sold from a barrow for 1 penny each. Bream and trout were often dried and salted for winter use. They were stored in barrels until they were needed. Pike was commonly eaten while trout were sold. Perch were also caught but were not well liked on account of their bony structure and trout was the most valued fish.

If you ever caught a 'Snotty' or Bream will know it is hard to imagine eating them! But it seems they have there uses also.

POISONIOUS FRESHWATER FISH IN UK:

There is in fact at least 1 potentially poisonous freshwater fish found in the UK, the European river lamprey (Lampetra fluviatilis)

The mucus and serum are poisonous and the flesh must be thoroughly washed and all the blood removed before consumption

Source: Bristow, P., 1992. The illustrated encyclopedia of fishes. Chancellor Press, London.

But Lamprey ( there are a number of species) haver been used historically as a source of food (The lamprey was considered something of a delicacy with England's royal family, and in fact, the sea lamprey is supposed to have killed King Henry I, who reputedly died in Normandy in 1135 after feeding too heartily on them!) and deemed a delicacy still.

Utilized fresh and smoked; eaten fried

Source: Frimodt, C., 1995. Multilingual illustrated guide to the world's commercial coldwater fish. Fishing News Books, Osney Mead, Oxford, England. 215 p.

To give a good idea of exactly how varied and rated fresh fish have been historically before we lost the knowledge check out that old favourite source of cooking in days gone by in the UK, Mrs (Isabella) Beaton in her 'The Book of Household Management'. Check out Chapter 8 which is convieniently available online here (worth reading the others chapters relating to food also for new ideas in food foraging):

Mrs Beaton's 'The Book of Household Management'-Chapter 8-Recipes-Fish

GUDGEON/ GOUJON:

For example I have recently been researching freshwater fish eaten in France and one which most people still remember catching as kids (alas old traditions tend to die out even here in the heart of rural France) is the Goujon (you know know why we call it a 'goujon' of chicken, fish etc as a small fish shaped pice of meat/ fish!) or Gudgeon in English. It is a pretty simple fish to catch using either simple fishing tackle or nets/ traps and was often cooked like whitebait (and still is).

Mrs Beaton states:

GUDGEONS.

261. INGREDIENTS.-Egg and bread crumbs sufficient for the quantity of fish; hot lard.

Mode.-Do not scrape off the scales, but take out the gills and inside, and cleanse thoroughly; wipe them dry, flour and dip them into egg, and sprinkle over with bread crumbs. Fry of a nice brown.

Time.-3 or 4 minutes.

Average cost. Seldom bought.

Seasonable from March to July.

Sufficient, 3 for each person.

THE GUDGEON.-This is a fresh-water fish, belonging to the carp genus, and is found in placid streams and lakes. It was highly esteemed by the Greeks, and was, at the beginning of supper, served fried at Rome. It abounds both in France and Germany; and is both excellent and numerous in some of the rivers of England. Its flesh is firm, well-flavoured, and easily digested.

And you also now know why we call small fish in rivers 'fry' :biggthump ( or friture as the French refer to them as). Actually often it is worth thinking 'SMALL' with fish as they are often more abundant, easier to catch and you dont have the same hassle with bones as with adult fish (think whitebait of course or sardines as an example from sea fish. Personally I would recommend carrying a small quantity of olive oil for cooking as it gives a great flavour on it's own ( just remember it has a lower flash point than other oils and burns more easily), salt really brings out the flavour of fish and either (ideally) fresh lemon juice, small container of concentrated uice or say Sheep Sorrel (Rumex acetosella). Not forgetting of course Wild Garlic (Allium ursinum)!

OK now I am hungry and I understand there are around 87 species of freshwater fish in the UK and 106 in France:lol:

Finally I have a great old picture of eel babbing on the Thames and will have to scan some info because there is little detail on the net I could find. But it is one of the few 'non hook' methods of catching fish so useful for us I think. Now just for a simple way to smoke fish out in the wild :wink:

'Tight Lines' as they say.....

Simon

ps Roving Rich, I reckon you may well know my brother Rich (Lisney?!) Lives near Bath where I came from before the big move en famille to France.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
No probem Ed. I don't know the meaning of a short post as there is always so much to find out about :wink:. and it's fun researching it.

BTW I have posted a follow up on Eel Babbing on a separate thread here;
Eel Babbing including the picture I mentioned.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Just to give some idea of the worth of crayfish as a food source:

Crayfish, 3 oz. (84.9g) (cooked, moist heat)
Calories: 70
Protein: 14.2g
Carbohydrate: 0.0g
Total Fat: 1.02g
Fiber: 0.0g
*Excellent source of: Selenium (31.2mcg), and Vitamin B12 (1.83mcg)

*Foods that are an “excellent source” of a particular nutrient provide 20% or more of the Recommended Daily Value, based upon United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) guidelines. Foods that are a “good source” of a particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the USDA Recommended Daily Value. Nutritional information and daily nutritional guidelines may vary in different countries. Please consult the appropriate organization in your country for specific nutritional values and the recommended daily guidelines.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Caught 40 crayfish yesterday on the Blythe - a crab line baited with beef. I had a zander out of the canal last week and it wasn't the slightest bit muddy, the flesh was white and clean and had a wierd opalescant look to it. It tastes somewhere between cod & sea bass.

The law on crayfish forbids 'fixed engines' unless local byelaws permit. The nearest I've got to a trap is to stitch a bit of bait into a landing net and leave it resting on the bottom - check it every 20mins and you'll get plenty of them.

It's near crayfish spawning time, is the red 'coral' ( ie roe ) any use at all.

I'm quite partial to gudgeon, minnows are supposed to be good too but I haven't tried them yet.

As for smoking - couldn't be easier - get yourself some nice hot embers, wall them up with a bit of soil and put plenty of green wood on the top, hang the fish above it. At home I've used two large longtom flower pots, the upper one placed upside down on top on once the fire's smouldering and the fish or whatever hung inside. I usualy smoke a goose for new year like this - give it a good eight hours on christmas even and it will store outside without going off. Last year I had a few lb of dried pollack in the smoker too - I used the last of them up 6 months later and they were still good to eat. Just don't use softwoods for smoking.

Realgar

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
Slightly off thread now but the original post discounted using a lurcher since that was now 2 mouths to feed. A decent lurcher will provide enough meat to feed a large family never mind you and it (as long as you like rabbit and squirrel - ehh ok and cat :shock: ). I did have a lurcher who even took a blackbird in flight that flew low to buzz her (two seperate occasions).

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Realgar said:
Caught 40 crayfish yesterday on the Blythe - a crab line baited with beef. I had a zander out of the canal last week and it wasn't the slightest bit muddy, the flesh was white and clean and had a wierd opalescant look to it. It tastes somewhere between cod & sea bass.

The law on crayfish forbids 'fixed engines' unless local byelaws permit. The nearest I've got to a trap is to stitch a bit of bait into a landing net and leave it resting on the bottom - check it every 20mins and you'll get plenty of them.

It's near crayfish spawning time, is the red 'coral' ( ie roe ) any use at all.

I'm quite partial to gudgeon, minnows are supposed to be good too but I haven't tried them yet.

As for smoking - couldn't be easier - get yourself some nice hot embers, wall them up with a bit of soil and put plenty of green wood on the top, hang the fish above it. At home I've used two large longtom flower pots, the upper one placed upside down on top on once the fire's smouldering and the fish or whatever hung inside. I usualy smoke a goose for new year like this - give it a good eight hours on christmas even and it will store outside without going off. Last year I had a few lb of dried pollack in the smoker too - I used the last of them up 6 months later and they were still good to eat. Just don't use softwoods for smoking.

Realgar

Nice info Realgar. Thanks :biggthump

From what I understand all traps are regarded as 'fixed engines' and all movement of crayfish (even dead) is illegal regardless of method?. Hope they sort out the law soon in the UK.

I am not sure what 'longtom' flower pots are? :) I assume just large and tall clay flower pots. Do you put the embers in the bottom and the green stuff on top and close to smoke? The smoked goose sounds great! We have mostly seasoned Oak around here which should do for the fuel.

Now the kids are back to school ( thank god! after 9 weeks :rolmao:) I hope to get out soon and wet the lines.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Moonraker said:
Nice info Realgar. Thanks :biggthump

From what I understand all traps are regarded as 'fixed engines' and all movement of crayfish (even dead) is illegal regardless of method?. Hope they sort out the law soon in the UK.
Fixed engine is defined as any trap that is "fixed to the earth or fixed in some other way" such traps are illegal even in crayfish farms, that basicaly means that even a cage held by its own weight isn't legal uless your byelaws permit. The EA site has nothing on movement of crayfish - keeping of them or moving them to another water is right out though.

Moonraker said:
I am not sure what 'longtom' flower pots are? :) I assume just large and tall clay flower pots.
Do you put the embers in the bottom and the green stuff on top and close to smoke? The smoked goose sounds great! We have mostly seasoned Oak around here which should do for the fuel.
.[/QUOTE]

They're the tall narrow pots without the rim. I just get a fire going in the bottom on ( put it on bricks so the hole in the bottom allows some air through ) - usualy hazel, when it's smouldering green stuff or soaked wood goes in and then close it to start the smoke.
The goose I rub thoroughly in salt, saltpeter and a few herbs before I start.

Realgar

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Realgar said:
Fixed engine is defined as any trap that is "fixed to the earth or fixed in some other way" such traps are illegal even in crayfish farms, that basicaly means that even a cage held by its own weight isn't legal uless your byelaws permit. The EA site has nothing on movement of crayfish - keeping of them or moving them to another water is right out though.
The proposed amended 'Crayfish Removal (Fixed Engines) Byelaw' details are here:

EA Crayfish Bylaw Consultation

There is a d/l pdf version on that page.

It sets out the current situation but is not yet law from what I can see by maybe soon. Worth checking. It seems from this, that it is illegal to trap and/ or move native crayfish but that it is not illegal to catch and remove non native crayfish(i.e. with a fixed trap you would need a permit first but using non fixed 'engine' such as fishing line, crab line, hand held balance net/ crabbing net. and then move i.e. take home to cook either live or dead) BUT you would need to check first with EA etc.

TheWildlife and Countryside Act 1981, part 3 Section 14 covers the movement of non-native crayfish:
Introduction of new species etc

14. (l) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which—

(a) is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state; or
(b) is included in Part I of Schedule 9,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person plants or otherwise causes to grow in the wild any plant which is included in Part II of Schedule 9, he shall be guilty of an offence.
(3) Subject to subsection (4), it shall be a defence to a charge of committing an offence under subsection (1) or (2) to prove that the accused took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence to avoid committing the offence.
(4) Where the defence provided by subsection (3) involves an allegation that the commission of the offence was due to the act or default of another person, the person charged shall not, without leave of the court, be entitled to rely on the defence unless, within a period ending seven clear days before the hearing, he has served on the prosecutor a notice giving such information identifying or assisting in the identification of the other person as was then in his possession.
(5) Any person authorised in writing by the Secretary of State may, at any reasonable time and (if required to do so) upon producing evidence that he is authorised, enter any land for the purpose of ascertaining whether an offence under subsection (I) or (2) is being, or has been, committed on that land; but nothing in this subsection shall authorise any person to enter a dwelling.
(6) Any person who intentionally obstructs a person acting in the exercise of the power conferred by subsection (5) shall be guilty of an offence.
There is a d/l .pdf leaflet entitled 'The Crayfish Code' here:

EA-The Crayfish Code

Thanks for the detail on the smokers. I will definitely have a go ASAP! And the description of the goose has made me very hungry :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE