Fish ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I only ever see them going the same way up stream. Never going the other way. I wonder if there is a big fish traffic jam further up stream when they can’t go any further.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fish often drift down stream on the current while facing upstream.
I was told it was more comfortable for them since the water flows past their gills and not sort of pushing into them. Uncomfortable like us trying to breathe against a strong wind.

No idea how true that is, but the old fellow who said it had been fishing (well, guddling) for over eighty years, so I reckoned he knew what he was on about.

I always kind of thought that upstream they'd see any food coming down :)

Reactions: Spirit fish

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
No, they are swimming forwards, but going backwards In the current. I guess the current is faster than their swimming speed. If you know what I mean.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No, they are swimming forwards, but going backwards In the current. I guess the current is faster than their swimming speed. If you know what I mean.
They're putting in enough effort to stay more or less in one spot and occasionally drifting backwards. If you spooked them you'd be amazed at how fast they can really swim.

Reactions: Toddy

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I saw that when I was taking the picture. Like bullets. I can sit and watch them for hours. It is very relaxing. I have Paul’s new axe and campcraft book and it’s going to be nice tomorrow, so I will take that up there and read it By the stream.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE