First time swinger - perhaps? Keep it clean!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen a bargain hammock made out of parachute silk (ticket to the moon I think is the company). Basically it is a double silk hammock with marine rope (600kg rated) for looping around the trees (larks foot I think it is called) with a separate loop to attach the provided steel hooks which are attached to the hammock.

It is only a casual one which I was thinking of taking for using when car camping some time. Could take backpacking but only to relax in of a long summer's evening.

Anyone got one like that?? Costs £25 if I'm quick on a clearance offer or £40 if not. Worth getting on a whim?

Any swingers with similar. It is 160kg total weight rating but 200kg on the manufacturer's website from NZ. Worth it??

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://www.ticketothemoon.com/en/tttm-shop-hammock.html?size=double

This is the maker's site but as there are only a handfull left I might with hold the UK seller's site until I get some opinions.

THink £25 is good for any hammock in silk personally. TRouble is a very good retailr and I know I will gt too muh one I start ordering there. Weak willed I know. ALready seen a great sack, compression sacks and other useful kit from them. Might try to just get the hammock anyway. If not to my liking expect it on sale for say £20 or £15 here!!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I occasionally use a Nomads land XXL which is similarly specced and priced, I find them much more comfortable than the nylon offerings from DD etc, there's much more give and stretch in the fabric.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Looks pretty good to me mate! Lightweight and the fact you can choose your own colours is pretty cool! Id buy one if i didnt already have one! :)

Take the gamble mate! I dont think you will be disappointed for that price!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I occasionally use a Nomads land XXL which is similarly specced and priced, I find them much more comfortable than the nylon offerings from DD etc, there's much more give and stretch in the fabric.

Give and stretch?? Looks like I'm going on a diet then just in case!!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just ordered. Hope I don't get the pink / purple one!!! IT's in the BPL-UK bargain box BTW. SOme good bargains there I think. Tempted by a £40 Inov8 racepac 25. Bargain!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just ordered. Hope I don't get the pink / purple one!!! IT's in the BPL-UK bargain box BTW. SOme good bargains there I think. Tempted by a £40 Inov8 racepac 25. Bargain!!

I noticed a lot of GoLite stuff on his list this time, have the UK imports stopped now and he's clearing out his stock?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I actually heard something about golite backing off uk. I heard it from a few sources so typical me I went online and asked them directly. Apparently they are still in europe and UK and are very active here. I ended up getting a few messages from the guy who I believe deals with UK. I made the mistake of doing it through facebook and accepting a friend request. Not a problem but I told him a couple of times I could not remember where I heard the rumour. He was quite rightly bothered by it.

Anyway from what he was saying they are still very active over here. I guess they did have a big flourish early on in the UL journey over here hitting the shops big time and possibly distribution could have suffered and perhaps even some retailers backed off in the present climate. Whatever the case I have noticed that some of the stores who became almost golite whores have actually ramped back their golite stock and even dropped them.

Personally I think they have become a more mature outdoors brand (now owned by a larger company IIRC) but are still good. Although some updates have increased weight and perhaps hasn't really added much neither. I know some who would rather keep the last version of Jam than get the newer one as they think it is better.

Anyway, BPL-UK does seem to have some good stuff in bargain bin. I am seriously considering getting one of the ice_ _ _ GTX caps from trekmates, silk gloves or the inov8 racepac 25 sack for £40!! The latter is 25 litres but I reckon with pockets and the like it should feel larger. I use a gourdon 20litre from alpkit on day walks but need something bigger. i was thinking 30litres but that 25 litre sack is tempting me due to the price. The lighter 25 liitre Race pac pro sack is only something like 350g!!! The racepac 25 is about 575g or less IIRC!!! pockets on the waistbelt, sides (angled for easy access to bottles), the back mesh pocket (stretchy) and the lid pocket too. All neat touches I think. I think with a bit of compromise and effort i wondr if that would be big enough for overnighter too!!!!

Bob and Rose are running a great little company. I placed my order then panicked when I worried I;d get a pink and purple hammock so I emailed him. he replied withint half hour and reassured me I'd got the green one!!! They ALWAYS email back within an hour IME. How good is thaat for service. On tip of that he has recommended I don't get the pocket stove but use the honey in four sided and wait to get aa Ti stove when they come out. Recommending I don't buy something???? That in my book is service. Better sell thee right product or nothing is good service. Only see it in a few companies.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Aye, Bob's a good un, and so is Rose for checking the orders with a phone call, that's how a business should be run. I was hoping to meet them on the TGo this year but they're not on the list unfortunately, I noticed Andy H mentioned that they might be up for a few days anyway though.

I think it was on one of Bobs podcasts where I heard about GoLite pulling out of Europe, they must have had a change of strategy.

That Race Pac looks a good buy, probably a bit more versatile than the Gourdon

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The gourdon is a cracking sack but I am cramming winter kit into it without even getting mini crampons in. I need the extra 25 litres I think. Plus with pockets I think you'd get more in or at least better organised. The gouurdon 20 is very good though witht he mesh side pockets. Perfect for bottles and accessible (with some contortionism) on the move. All good for £12.50 for my first one then IIRC £15 for my second. Think it is £18 for the 20, 22.50 for 25 litres and £25 for 30 litres IIRC. The other sizes have no mesh pockets or bungee cord but has the useless window instead. The mesh pockets and shock cord compression really helps as it is good for waterproofs and also for compressing the load in nicely. It is a complete shame the larger sacks don't have those simple additions.

The bargain sale is worth checking out I think. Some good stuff.

Well seems Golite are trying to quash the rumours about dropping out of europe. I got a few messages asking me to tell him where I read about it. I got annoyed by him as I'd already told him Ii couldn't remember a couple of times before the last message.

I just got out of a back garden nippy test (-10 C it as low as it gets so far...)....sleeping in my single Ticket to the Moon hammock.... I did replace the rope and suspension part but I love it! Might even trade it in for my Hennessy setup (it turns out lighter) if it is just as comfy as that Hennessy...

So in my opinion, Ticket to the Moon is worth it. Will try and do a report later with pics (first have to do the Dutch version of it)

Grtz Johan

Reactions: Cormac_74

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ordered and order added to when heard the honey stove kit is now in. Should get it tuesday or perhaps monday if the usual quality service is maintained. I'll be happy if I get it wednesday and can get out to play with it all. I'll probably keep it for summer though. Also I avoided the pink/purple one too!! Bonus.

I'll be interested to see any photos of yours Johan. Why did you replace the rope and suspension kit??

Replaced the rope and hooks because they are heavy.... compared to...

I use DIY tree huggers (a little over a meter each), with loops on both ends. One end has a whoopiesling larks headed in (the non moving end). Treehugger goes around the tree, other end of tree hugger with whoopee sling pass through the loop, towards the hammock. Channel of the hammock (where the original rope went through) is now fitted with a soft shackle to connect to the whoopiesling.

Slept out to test some winter setup this week (only backyard testing). Been hanging a long time but never in cold so now a good opportunity to do some testing.... On the mobile phone I made a first video, so I you are truly bored ;-) watch

[video=youtube;svAH-IEx8OU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAH-IEx8OU[/video]

First part is in Dutch, later part in English, first feeble attempts of Johan Spielberg career...NOT...

Hammock Forums (.net) is a great source of info, The Ultimate Hang a great book to learn more (no affiliation bladibladibla)

Grtz Johan

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Ticket to the Moon hammocks are great. I have had one for about 10 years & have taken it all over the world. I have now got into hanging more seriously & own a Henney, BMBH & have a WarBonnet on the way, but the TTTM still get used quite a lot, especially on holiday. Look at the DD Hammock ones as well, as they are the same sort of money. Good luck with your move off the ground. Waking up under a tarp, all nice & wam, to see some deer coming through the mist laden wood, like I did last Sunday morning at dawn, is what it is all about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE