First sheath on the way...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I'm at here...

Just sanded the edges slightly so that the leather is nice and flat to use the stitch groover.
Been using a pillar drill with a drum sander in it too smooth of the edges an d notice that the very edge of the leather sort of fold over.....I pressume that this is why the edge beveller tool is used? Dont have one so can I use something else?
Prob can see what I mean from a photo..

Anyway enjoying the process so far and of course can be expected to be shot down in flames with criticism!:slap:
Ta Dave

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I believe someone tried an old mens shaving razor with great results ;)

Try it on a bit of scrap first and see :)

Very nice BTW

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for them comments. I must say I wasn't fishing for compliments as there is some beautiful work posted on here. Also I followed a superb sticky on B.B which helped no end.
Got to say I just managed to balls it up a bit by running off the gouge I made in the leather with the overstitch wheel!! Doh!! Do find it quite difficult not running off the line ( I did a couple of practice runs and it was still hit and miss)
Does anyone do a deeper grove to keep the wheel on track better?
Anyway gonna stitch it tomorrow so will put a pre -dye pic up.
One last question was thinking of wet forming it. Now the knife is pretty tight in the sheath which I am hoping will give a little will wet forming make it any worse?
Ta Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Okdokay then. Yes its as snug as bug in a rug....actually a bit too snug....aint gonna fall out though! Oh yea apart from daubers was thinking about a mottled finish aka Rapidboy could I use a lint free type cloth? Will have a play with some spare leather.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well nearly ready to die.....how do I get the edges nice and soothe? Tried wet and dry going down the grades any tips?

Ta Dave

rancid badger

Well nearly ready to die.....how do I get the edges nice and soothe? Tried wet and dry going down the grades any tips?

Ta Dave

If you still dont have an edge beveller, just use a really sharp knife and carefully shave away the bits you dont want.
Alternatively, if all your worried about is the fluffy, fibrous bits, take off as much as you can with something like 120 grit then go ahead and dye etc. Then you can simply burnish the edges. if you pm your address ,I'll send you one of my home made folder/burnishers "for an extended test":D ( free/gratis/for nowt);)

It's looking really good by the way!
Cheers R.B.
P.S. that should read "dye" not "die":D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Cheers for that pm on the way.Will have a play with some spare leather and dye.
Top banana D
Oops just read the bottom of your thread RB....die.....just hope it isn't some sort of Freudian slip!!!!!
Well here's a dye pict struggling to dye the stitching area behind the at the side of the stitching???
Quite like the effect aka Rapidboys mountain man,prob not ot all tastes but there you go.

Still got to finish it with mink oil as suggested by a few members.
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dougster , been using a drum in my pillar drill but I dont seem to get it really smooth aka 'fluffy bits'. It seems to make sense the burnishing comment as I have gone through quite a few grades of paper with out getting very smooth results.Obviously I have not worked with leather before. (I think it wont be my last)
Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I do not use a gouge - it removes and therefor weakens the leather IMHO.
I dampen the leather, as for wet moulding, then run a bent fork around the edge.
One tine is bent down to act as an edge guide and two are left to dent the stitch line into the leather and give a decorative line as well. Used along all the edges it gives a simple decorative double line of indent marking.
The harder you press the deeper the indent becomes. The decorative indents survive wet moulding and can be touched up at any time the leather is damp. If you mess up and run the line off where you want it you can "polish out" the offending marks with a burnishing tool and remake the line in the right place.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers for that pm on the way.Will have a play with some spare leather and dye.
Top banana D
Oops just read the bottom of your thread RB....die.....just hope it isn't some sort of Freudian slip!!!!!
Well here's a dye pict struggling to dye the stitching area behind the at the side of the stitching???
Quite like the effect aka Rapidboys mountain man,prob not ot all tastes but there you go.

Still got to finish it with mink oil as suggested by a few members.
D

I really like that

What knife is it for?

rancid badger

Personally I do not use a gouge - it removes and therefor weakens the leather IMHO.
I dampen the leather, as for wet moulding, then run a bent fork around the edge.
One tine is bent down to act as an edge guide and two are left to dent the stitch line into the leather and give a decorative line as well. Used along all the edges it gives a simple decorative double line of indent marking.
The harder you press the deeper the indent becomes. The decorative indents survive wet moulding and can be touched up at any time the leather is damp. If you mess up and run the line off where you want it you can "polish out" the offending marks with a burnishing tool and remake the line in the right place.

Oh clever!, Thats one of the things about this site; there are loads of different takes on similar issues, some more complicated than other's but some ingeniously simple! I like that idea a lot John.
Sheaths looking really good now TC ,Oh the lump of plastic is in the post btw;)
Cheers
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE